Piers vs. block foundation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Piers vs. block foundation

We bought an old (very old) cabin on 14 acres. Not in great shape but not too bad. Our plan was to renovate and add on. Existing structure is only 15 x 17. Originally our contractor was going to put in a footer and a few courses of block under addition. It's going to be hard to get cement truck in. He now suggested using piers or Sono Tube under addition which will be about 16x20. Bags of concrete instead of hauling in block and trying to get cement truck in.

What am I losing by going on piers instead of block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I don't think you lose anything. Part of my first camp was on piers and they never sank or shifted. And with piers you will have good ventilation under the building.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Banned

You will not be losing anything, if you make the piers high enough you will get rid of any rising damp if you insulate the floor well and you will have a storage area under the cabin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:43 PM
The Man

I've had experience with 2 cabins on piers, never had any problems. One was on telephone poles, the other on block piers. As Buckskin said, superior ventilation - no musty smell or mold issues. For this reason I would prefer pillars. If you can I would insulate and run any plumbing work you need under there right after framing the floor and before the sub floor goes on. Makes it much easier. We always put chicken wire over the exposed insulation on the underside of the cabin to keep the insulation in place. That too is much easier to do before the sub floor goes on.

Be sure the piers are well below frost line and on good footers. I'm sure your contractor will know all about that.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM

I built mine on poles never had a problem and that was 39 years ago no shifting or sinking at all
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for input. Contractor is very reputable and I've known him for over 30 years. So I trust him and he thinks the piers will work fine. I was just hit by surprise and really didn't know anything about piers.

Certainly could solve issues getting large trucks in a long lane after a very wet winter.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Makes it much easier. We always put chicken wire over the exposed insulation on the underside of the cabin to keep the insulation in place. That too is much easier to do before the sub floor goes on.
Oh yeah, you have to seal it good or the red squirrels, mice and whatever will make a real mess. The mice will get in any way. I'm convinced those things can pass through walls.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Oh yeah, you have to seal it good or the red squirrels, mice and whatever will make a real mess. The mice will get in any way. I'm convinced those things can pass through walls.
Yeah, critters are going to get in no matter how well you think you may have it sealed. We always went with plain chicken wire to keep everything in place and left it at that. Seemed to work fine.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:43 PM

if you go with piers cover your bottom of the floor with pressure treated lumber to seal the bottom because of critters . if you go with cinderblocks you can put your water tank hot water tank and other plumbing under there to save space up in the addition .good luck in your decision
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM
The Man

I wouldn't cover it, you'll choke choke off the air flow , greatly increasing your chance for having mold problems. You'll have mice either way. Chicken wire will keep out the larger critters and still allow good ventilation and keep the insulation in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page