Cell phone usage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cell phone usage

I know that the cell phone coverage at my camp is good if you have verizon iPhone 6 or newer. My question is does any one get full coverage with anything other than an iPhone 6 or newer. I have sprint iPhone 8 and locked into a contract with my kids so I cannot change fir another yeAr and a half. My camp is along the eastfork in Wharton, potter county. I am looking to get rid of my landline and just leave cell phone at camp. I was thinking a pay as you go plan but I don't know what other phones other than an iPhone work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds like your questions is more about the carrier than the phone.
Seems that you have a Verizon tower nearby which gives a good signal.
Now you want to see if their is a Sprint tower nearby or a shared tower that Sprint uses.

Best thing to do would be to ask your neighbors by your camp and see what they use.

I understand the need for some type of phone for emergencies but other than that I am M.I.A when I am away from home.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM
The Man

You might want to try a tracfone- you can get a cheap flip phone and a 60 (120 with 2Xmin) min card for about $35.00 total. Take it to your cabin and try it out. If it meets your needs, you can then get a smart tracfone if you wish or keep on using the flip phone. That way you would not be committing to long term contracts. If it doesn't work, you're only out $ 35.00. Tracfone uses different providers depending where you are located, but from my experience they usually pick the provider with the best coverage in the area. If you plan on using a lot of data, probably not the best, but may be just the ticket for you.

Last edited by simoncool; 02-28-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 PM

We spend a decent amount of time around Wharton and all the way up into the Kettle Creek area when we're at camp and the guys with Verizon seem to do the best I have ATandT and its hard to get any signal in the same spot as the guys with Verizon I know Sprint is also poor through there
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:59 PM
The Man

Verizon seems to be the best network provider across all of NC PA. and the northern tier.
Marcus99 likes this.

Last edited by simoncool; 02-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Part of the Community

We are in Wright's and a couple of guys use trac phones. They use the Verizon network so work just as well as the guys who subscribe to Verizon. Personally, I use a flip phone from Affinity Cellular. Very inexpensive and they also use the Verizon network. No contract required. They are endorsed by AAA.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Banned

Two years ago I switched from Sprint to Verizon because there were so many places Sprint didn't work. I have not regretted the change I find Verizon much better than Sprint.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM

My IPhone 4 wouldn't work with the tower at east fork. My IPhone 6 does. Both Verizon. They told me that the phone needs to be newer LTE technology. We can see the tower from camp, but my older Iphone 4 said ...no service.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Verizon was supposed to be putting a lot of data towers in Potter County over the next few years. Newer phones will work, older ones won't. I still don't get any service at my camp at all- even with a booster, that's why we put in a land line.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 PM

x 2 on the trackphone and Verizon . my dad has a Trackphone and gets out at camp in northern Potter . I have Verizon and also get out at camp, except a few dead spots we're good to go . the dead spots are few and far between . also watch going up route 44 from Allenwood ,there are quite a few dead spots for us . good luck on your decision .let us know how you make out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page