Cabin addition question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Cabin addition question

Hello. I thought maybe someone could give some advice on what to do. Currently we own a camp in Lycoming County and we are looking to build an addition on the cabin (roughly 10ft by 12ft). We are generally a "by the book" kind of family but we have been getting the run around on the building permit process for this area. What are your thoughts on getting a permit or just not getting a permit. I am very familiar with the drawings and requirements for building permits but it seems these folks really are requiring a lot for an addition on a hunting camp thats 31 years old and doesn't have a septic system. We are trying to do the right thing but we don't have unlimited funds or time. Just feels like the permit process is out of hand. Any thought or input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Re: Cabin addition question

Build it!! - but do it right incase they come a lookin

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

first,does a camp actually need a building permit?
second , if you applied and are waiting i would not just build it now. i would have just done it without applying. now the cats out of the bag

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Sage

I'd just do it and do it quick. A lot of these backwater townships and hick locations like to jerk you around on stuff like this to make money and to create the illusion that they are to be taken seriously. Finish the outside walls/shell first. Then take your time on the part that cant be seen from the outside.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 PM
hdt
Banned

Watch yourself. If you give them the impresion that you consider them to be "Backwater hicks", they can make the process even worse.

Since you already started dealing with them, I'd be nice as pie to them. But be careful that they are not actually trying to jerk around a "flatlander."
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM

There's a paper called a recreational cabin affadavit.

Use this link and print it....
http://www.paconstructioncodesacadem...usion_Form.pdf

I used this when rebuilding my camp. It exempts you from the UCC codes. All I needed beyond that was a "municipal permit" but I am within the borough (town) limits of Tionesta. I'm not sure you'd even need one of those if you're in a township. Even if you do need the municipal permit, it's mostly a piece of paper allowing them to extort some $$ from you and a way of alerting the tax assessor so they can get their extra taxes from your place

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all of the information. We were nice as can be to the folks we spoke with. I was thinking the permit process was just a way for the township to get a few bucks and then send out the tax assessor once it's complete for a few more dollars in increased taxes. which I am fine with, I know that game. However they want all kinds of information concerning stormwater management plans, engineering firms contact information,site surveyor information etc,etc. I have built buildings that required far less information in residential areas of PA. The existing cabin sits within 40 feet of the back property line (for the last 31 years) the addition would be keeping the same distance from the property line. the current building code wants the cabin to have a 50ft setback minimum. Well as you can see I am really investing a lot of time in this one trying to do the right thing. I have asked questions just trying to get information and they just dont seem to have answers. We have already traveled to the mountains several times over the last 3 weeks trying to complete the building permit, taking measurements etc. We are really thinking of just canning the addition idea for a cabin we are using a few times a year the redtape is just too much for a 10ft by 12ft addition. Thanks again for all of the responses.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I deal with Lycoming county alot. What township are you in? Unfortuneately, the process is a bear, no two ways about it. You must do the survey, water runoff, erosion plan , blah, blah, blah! The best thing to do is go to one company that can do it all, pay them, and they will tell you when your permit is ready. They even go to the planning commission meeting for you, its part of their fee. This process will cost you at least 2 grand, so you have to justify the cost or not. Less than 10 years ago the whole process would have been about $200, but those days are long gone. If you go that way I can give you the info. for the people I use.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Is it the municipal Building Code Official that is requiring all this information? Other than some zoning issues the only other requirement for a simple 10x12 addition to your camp should be the filing of the previously mentioned Recreational Cabin Affidavit with the municipality.

Here is a rundown on the new regulations concerning erosion and sedimentation:
• All earth disturbance activities, including those that disturb less than 5000 sq. ft., must implement and maintain E&S controls.

• A written E&S Control Plan is required to be on site if the total disturbance is greater than 5000 sq. ft. or if the project site is has the potential to discharge to stream designated as High Quality (HQ) or Exceptional Value (EV) regardless of the amount of earth disturbance.

• An NPDES Permit is required if one (1) acre or more of earth will be disturbed.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Survey must be done or an acceptable previously recorded one acknowledged by the township. The days of " The line is right here" are long gone. Planning commission must approve additions that involve excavation. Yes, they are somewhat like extortionists, but if you cross them they can make you tear it down, no joke.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page