Locked up a lease... now what?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DP-A5
  • 2 Post By simoncool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Locked up a lease... now what??

I asked this exact question on another forum and got a lot of great responses.. figured it couldnt hurt to ask here.

My friends and I recently locked up a lease out of state.
It kind of fell into our laps and we moved quick.
It is a giant lease.. We signed for 1 year with the option of renewing for long term.. We are heading down first weekend of March to check things out and I am sure a few of us will be heading down for spring turkey.

There is one person that lives on the property. He is not the property owner but keeps tabs on the place. To us, that was huge... This whole week has been a blur with the back and forth between the agent and our group.

I'm thinking the first year will all be exploratory and we will hunt/shoot what we want.. Hopefully we see some things we like and lock it down for the long term.

I envision the group obtaining a couple cell cameras to start the scouting effort.
We definitely plan on marking the property and posting as necessary.

Really, what I am looking for is any info from guys that have had leases or are currently leasing.. any little bit of info, insight etc.

With things moving as quick as they did, we now have some time to regroup and get a good plan in place.. this is where I am hoping you guys can help us.

We know we took a chance jumping in quick, but it felt right and we figured we would be spending the money hunting somewhere.. Here's to hoping it pays off!

Thanks!
bobdoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM

what for buildings on the property ? any tillable land on your lease , how many acres ? these things we need to know so we could offer suggestons. I know it is a lot going on for you right now , but the more information we have the more we can help you out
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 PM
The Man

I don't know how many members are on the lease or how close you all are, but if you haven't already put bylaws in writing it should be the first thing you do. Without things spelled out in writing it is a good way for a great situation to go south in a hurry. Friends to become former friends.

I imagine you may be able to find examples online or ask some friends that belong to a club or lease. You can use these as a template to customize bylaws that suite your purpose.

Good Luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hill View Post
what for buildings on the property ? any tillable land on your lease , how many acres ? these things we need to know so we could offer suggestons. I know it is a lot going on for you right now , but the more information we have the more we can help you out

1000 acres, Its looking like about 30% tillable. There are some buildings but as of now we do not know much about them. The plan for the scouting trip and turkey season is to live out of an enclosed trailer.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I don't know how many members are on the lease or how close you all are, but if you haven't already put bylaws in writing it should be the first thing you do. Without things spelled out in writing it is a good way for a great situation to go south in a hurry. Friends to become former friends.

I imagine you may be able to find examples online or ask some friends that belong to a club or lease. You can use these as a template to customize bylaws that suite your purpose.

Good Luck !
Thank you! Right now we have 7. The by laws are definitely a good idea. We have all hunted together before on some other properties but never in a leasing situation. By laws seem like a good way to make sure nothing goes downhill.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Make sure you have permission to post it. Most likely you won't be able to do anything. The land owner will have to do that. Make sure you have permission on where you want to set up camp, campers and such.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
Make sure you have permission to post it. Most likely you won't be able to do anything. The land owner will have to do that. Make sure you have permission on where you want to set up camp, campers and such.
I guess I forgot to mention that, we have free reign to do whatever we want on the property as far as posting it, planting, where we set camp etc. We are even permitted to bring in an electric service to our desired camp location.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
Years ago, when in my early 20's, my buddy and I got permission to hunt a parcel that was about 150 acres. The land was owned by a gentleman in his 80's. It wasn't posted so we asked him if he would mind if we posted it. He gave us permission and explained where the boundaries ran. So off we went posting. About two weeks later his neighbor flagged us down and explained our posters were all over his property. Luckily we knew him and he was nice about it. He took us through and showed us the "real" lines. We probably added 60 acres to our hunting area by using "our" lines.

The lesson here is always have someone with you who knows where the lines are when posting.
Dennis Hill and DP-A5 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page