Any Cherry Springs area camps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Any Cherry Springs area camps

A buddy asked if I would be interested in joining a hunting camp he's a member of. It's in the Cherry Springs area. It's been years since I hunted up there. I always like the area. Enjoyed the camp. But also enjoyed the lower Hills and Farmland of Bradford County with its high deer numbers. Anybody hunt there recently and what did you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:18 AM
The Man

First thing I would do is check out the Harvest numbers for both counties and the species you intend to hunt.
I would think the Bear and Turkey harvest numbers are higher in Potter.
Bradford would get the nod for Deer harvest numbers. I hunted Bradford in the 70's 80's and it was the opposite.
If you fish Potter hands down gets the nod for Trout fishing.
Another thing about Potter is the southern half of Potter is blessed with miles of State Forest, look it up on a map.
I belong to a Camp not far from Cherry Springs and love Potter Co. but do miss the shorter trip to Bradford
about 1 to 1 1/2 hours closer from where I live.
Just some things to consider with your decision, good luck with it.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Spent the weekend there. Nice camp. Nice area.(Boone run). Saw deer. No coyotes. Took me back. After years of chasing big bucks I would enjoy the old school camp. Where size truly doesn't have to matter. Plus some good spots for long range hunting.
Bull and PA boxcall like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 02:50 PM
The Man

They don't call it Gods Country and Pennsylvania's Last Frontier for nothing.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

My buddy has a camp outside of Conrad and I hunted there for years. I loved hunter those mountains. Here is a picture of a buck they harvested this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171127_183846.jpg (763.1 KB, 46 views)
EAGLEUSMCRET likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Nice buck
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:07 PM

never hunted there but went thru several times and was at the woodsman carnival a couple of times . very nice area ,can't help with the deer population
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM
The Man

I don't have a camp there, but I spend time in that area every year. If I ever sold my existing camp, that is the area where I would be headed. I love it there. If you know how to hunt, you will do well. Lot's of fishing in the area. And between the Cherry Springs, Lyman Lake and Ole Bull state parks, there is always a lot going on in the summer as well. Great area.
EAGLEUSMCRET likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Sage

Beautiful area. I actually like that area better, than I do over around the Grand Canyon.

Paternal grand parents are buried near Germania Station, so I get out that way and up past Lyman Run SP every Memorial Day weekend. Haven't been to Cherry Springs SP in some time, but used to get over there years ago.

Several friends have camps in that general area between Germania and Cherry Springs. While one or two fuss about "not enough deer", others have taken some dandy bucks up there in the past several years.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Our camp is 1/4 mile from Cherry Springs state park. There is deer there by no means in great numbers like years past but they are there. Lots of clear cuts that no one will push out and thats where they hole up. 2 years ago went spot lighting the night before the rifle opener from the park to conrad and saw 23 different buck and countless doe. However did not hear a single shot all day or even see any. As soon as the sun went down they were crossing the road and feeding in the field across from the park. If you have the time to scout and put in some leg work you will be successful. Unfortanatley if you sit all day, and with the lack of hunters anymore up there your chances dwindle. I know of one group up there that will drive deer and they are pretty successful. I was hunting near Lyman the first 2 days, i was the only vehicle in the parking lot both days. I put on some miles and seen only 1 other hunter. Plenty of sign i just could not find where they were. Good luck to you.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page