Plumbing/Hot Water Tank Replacement - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Plumbing/Hot Water Tank Replacement

During a family vacation to camp this week disaster struck. Well not disaster but close.

2 leaks.

1) Hot water tank is shot. Leaking around the bottom. Not sure how many gallons but the measurments are approx 16" diameter by 22" tall(10 gallon?). It is 110v with on off switches attached. It has leaked a bit(Inlet pvc pipe was leaking and glued up solid) since I bought the place 11 years ago so I am kinda glad I need to replace it.

Now the questions.

1) What type of hot water tank should I get. Are there any that come with on/off switches already attached? The tank was ok, it is only used for short showers and washing dishes. If I took a long shower it would go cold. 5+ minutes.

2) Are there any tanks that are made to be drained after every use?

3) What is the best way to install a unit. It is actually in the bathroom so I want a clean look with maybe a "basin" under it incase there are any future leaks.

4) Should I replace the plastic drain valve that comes with the new tank with a better one?

5) I also want to replace all the piping. It is not much. The water comes in under the kitchen sink goes into the bathroom 5' and then goes to the toilet, shower and bathroom sink. Because of many leaks over the years I had replaced a lot of it with the flexible screw on hoses. This allows me to make sure everything is empty when I winterize the camp. I like the idea of the press in fittings. My mother in law has that type in her house. What is it called and is it affordable/reliable?

The other leak was from the well pump. I am not sure where that one is coming from yet. I could feel it, but just when I dug to it someone inside turned on the water to use the restroom and the hole filled up with muddy water.(Kids shesh) So that will be a project for the next time up.

A little more info.

Water comes from the well and is rusty. I have a single filter where it comes into the camp under the kitchen sink. We have not had the water tested but do not drink it. It is only used for washing dishes/showers.

Thanks,

Rick

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Sage

Re: Plumbing/Hot Water Tank Replacement

I dont know the ins and outs of them, but have you considered an on demand hot water system? That is, a small wall mounted unit that heats water in the pipes. They can be had in electric or gas versions. The only thing I do know about them is that they aren't cheap.

I'd look at a slightly bigger tank if I were you too. And, as far as draining the plumbing (a good idea) get a fitting for an air line and several valves in the line. Then, at the end of winter, open the valves and blow air through them. That works at my place, but you have to have a fitting for an air line somewhere on your pipes.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Sage

My water is rusty too and I have a filter right where the well feeds the plumbing for the camp. It is not nearly good enough to get the water to drinking quality, so I use the well water to run the toilet, shower and wash dishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM

The Golden Rule of Home Repair: "Water, under pressure, will go anywhere; electricity will kill you". Remember this simple rule my frind and let it guide you in your efforts to maintain the homestead.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The tankless is best, but not cheap. consider it an investment. With any type of tank unit there is a life-span, and not a long one. In a camp, the constant on/off fill/ drain is not good for them, they are engineered to be full and on all the time. If you plan on having the place a while, go with the wall mount tankless, and even if you sell, its a great selling feature to a potential buyer.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are going to stay with a tank, you should go bigger. At lowes a 30 gallon cost less then a 12 gallon so its a no brainer to go bigger if space permits. Im not sure what you mean by a tank that is made to dain after each use? Every tank has a drain valve so Im not sure I understand your question? I personally have never seen a tank that comes stock with a on off switch, you can easily do this during the wiring of the tank.

You can also get a water tank pan for around $20 and the "press in fittings" are expensive compaired to traditional fittings but save some time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I myself went with a tankless propane water heater from sportsman guide and never will look back. It works perfect and there are two different models to choose from..easy to hook-up and also to winterize too! Please consider this option before you buy or commit to a tank heater....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thank for the replies. Rem I will check that one out. I was looking at the specs on the tankless and I am not all that impressed. I would have to go with a large KW output 18+ to be able to take showers bear/deer season. The water can't be much more than a 40 degrees that time of year. A 40 degee temp rise seems to be the norm at around 2 galons per minute. I will research this some more.

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

I think they make em for gas too.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No gas at camp. Not unless its venison chille night! I like the idea of adding a 20 lb tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page