Back in May I posted a “Turkey Camp Pictorial” where I described a leaky roof over the front room and showed the damage it had caused.
Last week I finally got around to repairing it. Here is a pic of the roof with tarps over it. The green one was a better grade tarp. When that one started to leak through I put another one under it.
The blue one was under the green one and is just your standard cheapo tarp.
Tarps removed to expose the half-lap roofing and tear-off has begun. I installed this roofing just seven years ago. I guess the roof is just too flat for half lap.
I had to remove half the carport gable sheathing to get all the old roofing off.
Looks like it’d been leaking for a while.
Put in a new section of OSB
Bare substrate, I would have liked to install rigid board polyisocyanurate over the OSB but, for several reasons, opted not to in this situation. That meant I had to make darn sure all the old roofing nails and button caps were removed because the rubber was getting glued down right on this.
Took me 11 hours but I got the new rubber roofing (.60 EPDM) glued on by the end of the first day. By end of the second day I had the roof done; seams spliced, drip edge and cover strips installed, carport gable sheathing reinstalled and flashed. Ran the rubber about two feet back under the steel trailer roof and caulked everything.
Next day I built a big fire in the pit and slowly fed old roof debris in until it was gone.
I had to do something about the water damaged ceiling so I tore out all the old drywall and installed 4 x 8 sheets of luaun underlayment. It was relatively inexpensive (about $11.00 per sheet) and an easy-to-install solution. I took the opportunity to rough-in and later install two overhead lights (never were any in that room). A local buddy stopped by after work and helped me with the installation. His wife brought us dinner that evening, thanks for the help guys!
I bought some 1 x 3 pine to use for battens and stained them. At $0.14 per lineal foot the price was right.
The finished ceiling, I installed the battens in a 4 x 4 grid. I think it turned out "good enough" for this old shack.
The trip was not all work. I shot several rounds of trap at the local gun club one evening and shot a 24 during one round which is good for me. The highlight of the trip was watching a big sow bear with two cubs knock the lid off my burn barrel and pull out a pizza box. The way she flipped that lid off, I could tell she’d done it before…