Ackley's in Westfield, pa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Ackley's in Westfield, pa

can anyone tell me what ever happened to Ackley's , I was in there a few months ago on the way home from camp and they hardly had anything in stock or any customers. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
The Man

Probably a combination of guys not coming up from down state like they used to, their remote location, and the internet. It's a shame because that, like so many mom & pop stores, used to be a very nice store.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Used to stop there on the way up during rifle season. Would stop on the way home to see the buck contest. No more hunting goods and no more buck contest. His prices were high but it was still fun to look around. Passed by this year and there wasn’t many customers.

3a/5c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM
The Man

I don't know the family dynamics, but It could be that the owner is getting older and the next generation isn't interested in taking over.
Running a good retail shop is hard work, especially these days. It could be he is slowing down and coasting on out to retirement.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage

Family dynamics....Divorce sale of store new owner basically clueless

wmu 3A
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM
Sage

Family dynamics....Divorce sale of store new owner basically clueless

Exactly what happened.

"Mort" built that place into one of the best hunting/fishing/outdoor clothing stores in the north central, over several decades. Had to sell it several years ago in the divorce settlement. Long story, ain't none of my business, that's the short form.

Never anything wrong with his prices, as many things could be bought cheaper up there, than here at home. Like the time my buds bought all the Shooter's Choice bore cleaner he had out. He asked me later, what it was selling for at home. Told him 'bout a buck more.

He always (kinda) joked, that if I was buying something, then he must need to raise his price.

New owner ran it right into the ground within a few years. Dropped all the hunting/fishing stuff, now just a half-baked hardware store. And his beer distributor thing out back.

Properly managed, it would still be a gold mine, like it had been for the previous owner.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info, I think DennyF is right , I can remember several years back you couldn't get near the store on the weekend during hunting season because of all the cars around there ,it a shame the new owner had a gold mine there
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage

Consensus is, new owner wasn't smart or ambitious enough to realize what he had, pretty much destroyed the goose that laid the golden egg?

Here's a good example: First year he owned it, decided to close at 7 (his new closing time) on opening day of rifle deer. Guys and gals used to roll in there until much later than that, bringing in entries for the buck contest.

Went over and picked my cousin up, to head for town to see what had been brought in. He told me the new owner closed at 7 and had said he wasn't staying open, waiting for people to show up, just because it was opening day. Well, let's go find out?

Coming down 49, the lights over the gas pumps were already off at ten minutes to 7, bad sign. He was indeed closing up at 7. Icy roads that night, people still pulling in with their bucks, some from many miles away. When I mentioned to the new boy this was going to continue, he said they need to learn I own it now, I close up at 7 and so he did.

Couple more trucks pulled in. When they were informed he was closing, they were not happy. All said that was the last time they'd ever drive over there for anything.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 AM
The Man

I also think Potter Co. Outfitters lured some business away.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Potter CO Joe, you could be right ,there are several others near Galeton ,Elkland Gaines areas that have been advertising for business ,since they got rid of the sporting goods, there was also several hardware store close to recently to, County line in Gaines ,Wagners in Ulysses, and I think Pro Seal in Coudersport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in