Wood Burner Stove Gasket ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Wood Burner Stove Gasket ?

I have an air tight wood burner. The door seal is going. I need to replace the seal but I cannot find any info regarding the replacement seal's diameter. The current seal is flattened and is probably about an inch wide now. The channel the seal sits in is 5/8".

Am I safe to assume that I need a 5/8" seal. Is there a correct way to determine the diameter of the seal?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 05:38 PM

If you don't get any replies, what I did when it came time to replace my stove gasket I took it to the local stove shop (Amish) and they just cut me some right off a spool then charged me by the foot. I know in your case its winter now so maybe you could just talk to a local shop over the phone and I would think they would be able to set you up.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 PM

try your local stove shop, or your local Lowes or Home Depot they usely have some wood stove material in stock , the last time I looked. or try your local hardware store they might have some in stock or could help you out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlimbhanger View Post
If you don't get any replies, what I did when it came time to replace my stove gasket I took it to the local stove shop (Amish) and they just cut me some right off a spool then charged me by the foot. I know in your case its winter now so maybe you could just talk to a local shop over the phone and I would think they would be able to set you up.
Yup,,PAlimbhanger is spot on. You don't even need adhesive to keep the seal in place. On most stoves it just seats itself in the channel. But some stoves you do so maybe best to pick up a tube. Measure your old seal or take it with you. Any place that sells stoves will know at a glance what you need. While you at it take a look in side at your fire brick lining if your stove has them. Not all stoves do. They get broken and crumble after awhile and need replacing. For the record the place I get my stove stuff at is Amish as well.

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 01-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Part of the Community

It sounds like 5/8 is the size you need. Go to ace, lowes home depot , they sell a kit that you can do it with. Pull out the old gasket, clean the old glue and install the kit. You do glue it in, and not to bad a job.
Laylow likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe Tractor Supply carries them.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM

They sell the kit that comes with the right adhesive
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Dogface you're welcoe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Sage

Back in the golden days of wood stove shops darn near everywhere, sticks in my mind there were two or three different sizes (thicknesses) of door gaskets? Maybe not, too long ago.

Replaced the gaskets on my stove doors a few years ago and only found one size. No problem, as it's worked out okay.

Cleaned the channels, squizzed the glue in them, cut the gaskets to fit for length and locked the doors shut, left them be for quite awhile (wasn't using the stove yet). Still as good as new.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in