Haunted hunting camp ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Haunted hunting camp ?

Our camp is an old CCC camp . Built in the 1930s the small cluster of buildings housed a good number of people .Most of the buildings are long gone , but our camp has remained . The building was the infirmary , housing the ill and injured workers .
My wife and I were asleep the second night of vacation , when I heard distinct footsteps through the bunkroom to the kitchen . In the morning I began to tell her what I had heard and she interupted to say that she,too,had heard the walking .The next three nights this was heard . We tried to think of a rational explanation , but one by one our theories were thrown out . At first it was quite freaky to say the least , but by the end of the week the sound was accepted and sleep was easier.
My brother came up the latter weekend . I told him that we believed the place was occupied by a ghost .He told us that he had heard these same noises as had a few other members of the camp over the last 30 years .
The sound I speak of is as if someone were walking in heeled boots across the hardwood floor a mere few feet from the bunks , into the kitchen area , then back through the sleeping quarters . Repeated through the night ! This was not the sound of a scurrying animal , but a slow cadence of footsteps - perhaps a doctor checking on patients !
Anyone have a similar story of their camp ? Yikes ....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
RB
Sage

Re: Haunted hunting camp ?

That story would bring me in from the campfire early or maybe keep me out there all night I guess....I hope to God that I have the souls of past hunters walking the hills around camp with me, or else this guy does alot of talking to them that might be considered silly.

We rebuilt in 2001, somedays I wish we hadn't.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

They are out there ,Rooster ! I cannot explain some things that are heard there , nor has any other member. An accepted tick of the camp storied past !

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Sage

Sometimes think I can still hear Dad yelling at me at camp when I'm working around the place and he's been gone since '95. I've actually shut the weedeater off, because I thought someone had yelled at me like he used to, then realized there ain't nobody there but me.

Probably just some old echoes still bouncin' around between the ridges? Both he and my uncle liked to holler back and forth across the valley years ago in the evening, from camp to farm and back again. Used to drive my mom crazy.

Back in the 1950s, my uncle hollered-up a farmer who was cutting firewood just up over the ridge from where my camp is now. Uncle waited until the guy shut his chainsaw off and gave it a whirl. The guy's wife had called over to my uncle's farm to see if Unc could yell over there and tell her hubby that their house was afire. He got the message, scooted over the ridge and took care of it.

Could be footsteps in that old CCC camp. Could just be wood framing and flooring expanding and contracting, too? Think I like the footsteps alternative better.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 PM

I guess you can't count anything out in those old camps. Ours was built around the same time as yours and it just has that feel of "you are never alone" when you think you are. Whether it is the spirits of the great hunters past, or the spirits of the members who hauled all the lumber 3 miles deep into the beaverdam run road by horseback back in the 30's, I don't know, but the feeling never goes away. Unfortunately (or is this fortunate? ) I have never really heard anything out of the ordinary except the occasional bear growling REALLY loud.......but then again, that could be the snoring from some of the other members that I take along! Now that sound, yeah, it still echoes through the hills!
I love the stories of old camps, keep em coming guys!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If there's something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call!

GHOSTBUSTERS!

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
NRA Life Member
post #7 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Call TAPs, maybe we can see your camp on tv.

post #8 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't have a camp story, but I had something happen to me before, when I was 22 I was hunting with my uncle 2nd week of rifle outside of greenville pa on a pipleline near my grandparents and aunts place, it was really hot over 80 degrees out, we weren't seeing anything, my uncle and his friend posted me and went on a long drive, I didn't expect much as we had done this all day and had yet to see a deer, my grandpa had passed about 6 years before but lived his whole life right in this immediate area, he hunted here with his kids and family all his life, I have a picture of me and him in the front yard when I was 2 just me him and his shotgun him getting ready to go hunting, so anyways I started talking to my grandpa telling him it felt good to hunt the same places he did and that I was glad him and my uncles introduced me to hunting and that I didn't care if I saw anything it was enough to enjoy a beautiful day in the woods, just then I heard a twig snap beside me and looked over and there was a buck standing there, (pre-AR), I pulled up my gun and shot and the buck fell over. I just sat there stunned, it was my first buck, an 8 point, my uncle helped me get it back to my grandma's house, I waited till I was alone with her later to tell her what happened, she always said that my grandpa helped me get my first buck and that when us boys hunted in those woods he was with us. sorry to derail the thread, it didn't happen at camp, but this was one ghost I was happy to have around.

Molon Labe
post #9 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter
I don't have a camp story, but I had something happen to me before, when I was 22 I was hunting with my uncle 2nd week of rifle outside of greenville pa on a pipleline near my grandparents and aunts place, it was really hot over 80 degrees out, we weren't seeing anything, my uncle and his friend posted me and went on a long drive, I didn't expect much as we had done this all day and had yet to see a deer, my grandpa had passed about 6 years before but lived his whole life right in this immediate area, he hunted here with his kids and family all his life, I have a picture of me and him in the front yard when I was 2 just me him and his shotgun him getting ready to go hunting, so anyways I started talking to my grandpa telling him it felt good to hunt the same places he did and that I was glad him and my uncles introduced me to hunting and that I didn't care if I saw anything it was enough to enjoy a beautiful day in the woods, just then I heard a twig snap beside me and looked over and there was a buck standing there, (pre-AR), I pulled up my gun and shot and the buck fell over. I just sat there stunned, it was my first buck, an 8 point, my uncle helped me get it back to my grandma's house, I waited till I was alone with her later to tell her what happened, she always said that my grandpa helped me get my first buck and that when us boys hunted in those woods he was with us. sorry to derail the thread, it didn't happen at camp, but this was one ghost I was happy to have around.
Cool story but are you sure you weren't dreaming? 2nd week of deer season and it was over 80 degrees??? I don't remember it ever being that warm
post #10 of 295 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Plenty of stories around for sure . At least half of the members have heard these footsteps in the middle of the night . The cadence is what is the weird part . Clump , clump clump within a foot of our bunk ,out into the kitchen-pause -then back past the bunks . Nobody in camp but my wife and I Geeeeesh !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page