• 1 Post By superd
  • 1 Post By Hemry27

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Forest county/Blue jay creek camps.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 18, 2018

PennDOT to Display Plans for Replacement of a Bridge Over Blue Jay Creek in Forest County

Oil City, PA Ė The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation invites the public to view a display of plans to replace a bridge over Blue Jay Creek in Howe Township, Forest County.

The bridge is located on Blue Jay Creek Road (Route 1003) between in the intersection with Route 66 in Howe Township and the intersection with Robenson Hill Road in Howe Township.

Plans for the project will be on display:

Date: January 29 to February 23, 2018

Time: 8 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Friday

7947 Route 666

Sheffield, PA 16347

Construction will include removal of the existing steel I-beam bridge and the construction of a pre-stressed, concrete box beam bridge.

The existing bridge was built in 1938 and it is used by about 700 vehicles a day, on average. It is classified as structurally deficient and has a posted weight limit of one ton.

Construction is expected to occur in the summer of 2018. A 28-mile detour of two months in duration is proposed, using Route 666, Route 66, Route 948 and Blue Jay Creek Road.

The purpose of the display is to introduce the project and to receive public input regarding any questions or concerns with the project. The display is set up to also receive any public input regarding historic or archaeological sites in the area, that could be affected by the project, as required by Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (cultural resources).

The display location is accessible to anyone with disabilities. Anyone with special needs or requiring assistance should contact Bob Bell - Project Manager, at 814-678-7161

Media contact: Jill Harry 814-678-5035
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Construction is expected to occur in the summer of 2018. A 28-mile detour of two months in duration is proposed, using Route 666, Route 66, Route 948 and Blue Jay Creek Road.

I guess 2 months is not bad, but if they put on a crew of 12 Amish guys the down-time would be cut to 1 month.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM

One ton weight limit? I didnít think there was a vehicle on the road under 2000 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
One ton weight limit? I didnít think there was a vehicle on the road under 2000 lbs.
Motorcycles?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Obviously you have not met my X wife.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post

I guess 2 months is not bad, but if they put on a crew of 12 Amish guys the down-time would be cut to 1 month.

The Amish may get it done in a month but it will be upside down, perpendicular to the road and reek of shoddy workmanship
tunadawg likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

28 mile detour? Can come in JobCorps Rd from Marienville with no additional mileage.
mgdrobert likes this.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Part of the Community

JobCorps Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemry27 View Post
28 mile detour? Can come in JobCorps Rd from Marienville with no additional mileage.
How bad does that road get in Winter time ? All the times up there never traveled that road.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

mostly flat until rocky rn.....a small S turn downhill section. Its a snowmobile rd so its never rutted. Average 4x4 should never have a problem.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemry27 View Post
mostly flat until rocky rn.....a small S turn downhill section. Its a snowmobile rd so its never rutted. Average 4x4 should never have a problem.
I don't know what kind of traffic Job Corps sees in the winter specifically, but it's a 'joint use' road per the ANF. It's a snowmobile road and that means next to nothing. If they're tending wells or logging those guys will often plow it. If it's used a lot by sleds it may or may not be groomed. Every single joint use road I've ever been on in the winter/snow season has been rutted to all get out. Sleds use them, they're sometimes groomed for sleds, guys drive them, well tenders/loggers drive them and sometimes plow them. If you're going to travel that road in the winter I strongly suggest you take proper precautions.....like tire chains, a winch, tow kit. If you get stuck back there it's pretty desolate.....you might not see another human for days and might not be able to get cell reception either.

FWIW, the 'average' 4x4 has crappy all season tires on it or some barely-able-to-be-called A/T tires on it....and they won't do you a lick of good on unplowed, rutted up, no winter maint. roads. If you have good A/T tires or snow tires you'll fair better. If you run mudders then go have fun!

Having said all that.....this bridge project is slated for summer 2018. I highly doubt you'll have to much snow to worry about!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page