What was your first cabin experience? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What was your first cabin experience?

Mine was New Years eve, 38 years ago. I went with a girlfriend to her uncles cabin for New Years Eve. You had to go outside to get water from the spring. The kitchen table was 15 feet long and the bedrooms had 2 bunk beds in them. There was 3 couches with some recliners. Thought to myself I want to get one of these. Ended up buying one, 4 mile down the road from it 15 years later. I've bought 2 more since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 AM

First year I actually went away to hunt deer. It was a small cabin in Monroe Co. We got water from a spring had an outhouse , and a small kerosene heater that if you put both burners on you melted . We never killed a deer and I think besides the fact that none of us had any idea what we were doing we all smelled like kerosene. We had a ball
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 AM

I remember back in the 50`s, I was about 5 or 6, my cousin married a lady who`s family owned a row of about 10 cottages they rented out by the week in the summer months. They were located along RT62 across from the Buckaloons access on the Allegheny River in Warren Co. We went up there every summer for many years, when they finally closed them down and moved to FL. They gave us a key to the gate and we had one we would keep up some. We had no electric, the out house was a good walk or a fast run depending on how bad you needed to use it. We always said we had running water, we had to run and get it out of a well by the main farm house. The fishing was great and we were right across the road from the State Forrest. I always wanted one of my own.....

We now have our own place along French Creek near Cochranton in Crawford Co. that we have had for 26 years and enjoy getting up there every chance we get. I am so close to the water I can fish from my deck if I wanted......

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 12-14-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not a hunting cabin. Dad was a scout leader in 1960 and I was 2 at the time. Scoutmaster had 10 acres and building a cabin in Green Lane next door to the Harleysville Gun Club. Scouts camped on the other side of creek, used canoe to ferry supplies and scouts across. I am told I learned to pee on a tree there and very upset not to sleep in a tent with the scouts. Stayed in an unfinished cabin. Scoutmaster later retired there and built a log cabin . Old cabin was used for about 50 years by scouts. Had many good experiences there as a scout and young adult
bucksnort1 likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My first experience that I can vividly remember was the blizzard of 96. We drove up to the cabin to check things out for the weekend and that's where it started. We got to the lane and couldn't get up, had to call the local excavators to plow us out. As soon as we started getting closer, we knew the cabin didn't look right. The whole roof had collapsed. That was a short trip that weekend, but a major mess to clean up the next few weekends.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:51 PM

My first experience was at a family friend's cabin in Conneaut Lake, PA. The only thing I can vividly remember is him taking me along for a goose hunt. He was a big guy...probably in the 400lb range, so he didn't get around very well in the woods. To make matters worse we had to take his little 12ft aluminum boat to the location. He sat in the back to work the motor and I was in the front...about 6 inches off the water because of the weight difference. We got to a section that he wanted to set up and shortly after we had some geese fly over. He missed a bunch of times, tripped, fell, and rolled around in the grass for a little bit trying to get back to his feet. I was around 9 years old at the time, so I wasn't any help. We sat for a little while longer and then made the grand voyage back across the water and headed home. No geese died that day, but he did crush a praying mantis when he fell in the field. It was an interesting experience to say the least. We stopped going there because his wife didn't prefer guests. Not long after that, my dad married into a family with a camp. I've been going there religiously ever since. It's my favorite place on earth to be and I hope to continue going there as long as I'm alive.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
Mine was New Years eve, 38 years ago. I went with a girlfriend to her uncles cabin for New Years Eve. You had to go outside to get water from the spring. The kitchen table was 15 feet long and the bedrooms had 2 bunk beds in them. There was 3 couches with some recliners. Thought to myself I want to get one of these. Ended up buying one, 4 mile down the road from it 15 years later. I've bought 2 more since then.

mine was with a girl also. I cant tell anymore than that here.....................
Mossberg Hunter likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

McKean County, Hazel Hurst Pa. My uncles camp, I was 13 and the crew that went there were heavy drinkers. I was the DD Friday night before buck season. I drove my uncles F150 down off of Mt Jewett. I steered and was instructed when to push down on that "other" gas pedal thing while my old man shifted gears and my uncle and his buddy were passed out. The next night we went to The Villige Inn in Hazel Hurst right up the road from camp. My uncles snuck me beer and I played pool all night. I was completly hooked! I learned a lot of life lessons from going to that camp for years and years.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM

mine was in 1982 in the seven bridges area off rt. 49 near Gold in potter co, was a small cabin with woodstove , outhouse, generator, lots of friends and fun.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage

Fall of '63. Got permission to skip the team bus trip and left after my HS football game on a Friday night. Headed up to a camp way back in the woods near Hyner Run, that friends of my parents belonged to. Big camp, probably had enough sleeping room for two dozen or more?

Got there after midnight and there was already another family in camp. Dad's buddy had reserved it for that weekend, so much for that. The old boy was extremely unhappy to find the camp occupied.

Big hassle with the folks that were there, finally got settled in around one AM.

Beautiful fall weekend, went out to Hyner Vista, visited the site of a former CCC camp just over the line in Potter, where dad's buddy had worked when he was a teen, back during the Depression.

Forget where it was now, but spent much of Saturday afternoon driving SF roads in that area, some really neat waterfalls and big ravines.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page