Camp Repairs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Camp Repairs

Hi All !
Need some advice here. I have a camp up near Sheffield, that I haven’t used much at all. So, things kind of got away from me. When I went up to check on things, as I crossed the floor I noticed “it’s kinda’ soft”, maybe the support post gave out. Well ……. It wasn’t the support post, the entire floor is dry rotted !!! I believe I know what I want to do, but my question to all of you is; how would you go about replacing the entire floor? And - Would you use regular lumber, or got with pressure treated? The camp is 20’x20’ with a 12x8 addition, and sits about 1 1/2’ above ground. Thankfully the addition floor is still good, but for how long? What would be best material to you use for a floor, and what would you use to insulate the floor
So, what words of wisdom / advice might you all have to offer?
-OR- Should I just fold it all up?
TIA !
PAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Sage

Use treated lumber for the joists, then cover with 3/4 inch t&g plywood...you need air spaces under the floor
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Do you have any pics? What iare the condition of the walls? I think you need to confirm exactly what is bad and what is good.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Walls are OK ! - Was under the camp to see what was what - and - floor joists are crumbling. I can see the tongue & Groove floor boards, and they do not look like the joists. Pictures, maybe later, I'm not driving back up and crawl underneath till spring and it's warm. Was looking to make up some sort of a plan to remedy the situation spring/summer next year.
Is it possible to place insulation board ( for instance cellotex?)over the T&G plywood and then place plywood over top of that???
Thanks, so far !

Last edited by PAP2; 12-01-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If your floor joists are "crumbling" like you say, that is the first thing that needs addressed. If they remain exposed to the ground moisture, at the very least sister up new pressure treated lumber of the appropriate dimension to the old joists. If you plan to add insulation and a proper vapor barrier, white wood would suffice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for advice !
I would "sister up" along side the old joists, but there isn't much left of them. What I haven't quite fiured out, is if I pull out the old floor/joists in 10x10 sections, how do I support the section of the camp while making the exchange?
We all know the "Stuff Happens" catch phrase, but I would rather miss out on that this time!
Thanks !!
pap2
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Do 1 at a time using joist hangers.I would pull the old flooring up prior to removing any floor joists.The fungus that caused the joists to rot may have already spread to the flooring.Then I would treat any nearby wood with a chemical to kill the fungus.Boric acid or other fungicide.Then figure on stopping the moisture problem.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:30 AM

get a detailed estimate from a contractor, pay him for his time and if possible, do it yourself.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Do 1 at a time using joist hangers.I would pull the old flooring up prior to removing any floor joists.The fungus that caused the joists to rot may have already spread to the flooring.Then I would treat any nearby wood with a chemical to kill the fungus.Boric acid or other fungicide.Then figure on stopping the moisture problem.

Good advice here.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Sage

Ascertain that the joists were affected by moisture and not termite damage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page