Wooden boards on walls? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wooden boards on walls?

The wooden boards on the walls that you see in magazine pictures of hunting lodges, what kind of wood are they? Is it tongue and groove? Where do you get it at? I saw some in packs at Lowe's but they were only about 3 or 4 inches wide. I was looking for 6 or 8 inches wide. Do you stain them or just put polyeurathane on them? Lowe's has panneling that looks like that,but didn't see the boards. Are they pretty expensive? Alot of questions. Hope someone can answer them!
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Wooden boards on walls?

Most are pine, however, you can get them in any wood you want. The most common is 6" wide, but they make them bigger and smaller. The most economical way to buy them is in bulk, figure out how many SF you need, order it all at once and you get a discount from most mills. You can stain them, paint, polyurethane, thats just your preference. The most common thing to do is let them age naturally with no finish applied. As the years go by they take on their own patina. Yes, they are rather expensive, but well worth it if you want that look. Any reputable finish mill can supply you with them, Lowes or HD are the most expensive place to buy them, and the quality is often poor. When you buy in bulk from a mill, you can return the crooked and substandard ones. If you buy from Lowes in packs, you can only return full unopened packs. Hope this helps !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM

I bought the 4" tongue in groove from Lowes 2 years ago to do the ceiling of an 12x32 addition I put on the camp. They were on sale as seconds because of knots but I cut them back anyway because of wanting to stagger them and paid about $7 a pack. Total cost was about $200 and I left them unstained to age naturally.

Wider boards are more expensive and Joe gave some good advise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Your best bet would to be what they call "barnside". It's a pine Tongue & Groove that if memory serves, gives about 7 1/2" - 8" wide coverage. I know 84 Lumber carries this, or can order it for you. Just haggle them a bit on the LBF price, as you NEVER pay what a place wants on the board. I put it in my gameroom (all walls), and halfway up in my living room and foyer. The entire outside of my house is T & G Cedar. I wouldn't want to price that stuff today. The inside wood is natural. The outside wood is treated.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Another option is to go with rough cut wood. You can get it at a sawmill for bargain basement price. A guy I know did his game room with it, and it looks great. He put black roofing paper under it, then put the wood over top spaced out with an inch or so between the boards.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Nice look, but the biggest problem is having to vacum the walls. You'll never be able to wipe that stuff down.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Like others already stated looks nice, and wears well but is a problem if and when you get tired of the look.
I did it as a feature wall in the family room and stained it to match the bar and put 4 coats of urethane. It looked great with pictures and mounts and fisheye lights shown down on the wall. After a couple years my wife got tired of that look, that left me with 2 options, sheetrock over top of it or rip it out, I took it out.
If you are going to leave it natural or will be staining it I would stay away from Lowes or Depot for wood. They tend to have limited quantities of nice pieces, often riddled with knots and looking like airplane propellers. Go to a lumber wholesaler where you get bundles that are bound, let them acclimate to the room for a couple days before you put them up and enjoy.
Make sure you put in any additional outlets or cabling before you nail them up, much easier before then after.
Good Luck….post pictures when your finished

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I would stay away from Lowes or Depot for wood. They tend to have limited quantities of nice pieces, often riddled with knots and looking like airplane propellers.
Most times, 84 Lumber makes Lowe's and HD look like clear, veneer wood.

P.S. I woulda had two words for wifey getting "tired of that look"...... TOO BAD.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan58
Another option is to go with rough cut wood. You can get it at a sawmill for bargain basement price. A guy I know did his game room with it, and it looks great. He put black roofing paper under it, then put the wood over top spaced out with an inch or so between the boards.
Or, to add to that for another look. Lay the boards horizontal with gaps. Get some flexible chinking material like Perma-Chink and fill in the gaps to give it that flat sided, hand hewn, chinked log look. Distress the wood and cover it with a thick coat of clear poly-u for a more natural look if you want.

Every action has a re-action! 4D
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM

Sounds nice, but would require some sort of backing first, OSB or Plywood.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page