Looking for place near Ohiopyle... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for place near Ohiopyle...

Just thought I'd ask. As opposed to camping for my birthday weekend in July. I will be bringing my daughter out to go down the Lower Yough. If anyone has a camp or cabin between Ohiopyle and Friendsville , Md they would be willing to rent out I'd be interested to know. You can pm me if you want to keep it off the thread, either way. I'm good people and would treat it as my own and leave it better than when I got there for sure. I was just looking so I didn't have to stay in a noisy campground and most of the rentals out there are so touristy and expensive. I have a cabin near the Tuscarora State forest and would be willing to extend a stay there as well. You could also call me at 717-329-2010, Thank Sam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
The Man

Re: Looking for place near Ohiopyle...

WWH, I can't help you on the cabin swap. But we rented one last year "The Schaefer House in Ohiopyle". There were three families, we split the cost, and plenty of room. Hey if you have time, you may want to hit either Kentuck Knob or Fallingwater. We went to Fallingwater (you have to make a reservation), and I admit I found it quite interesting. Who is your outfitter?

Hey, have a good trip, and stay in the raft!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks eddie, I will look into that place. I have been to Falling waters but it's been a while, have never been to Kentuck though. I'm not rafting, I have kayaked the LY many times, I paddled it at 7' two years ago, I have also run the falls. Thanks again, Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewaterhunter
I have also run the falls.
now thats just plain nuts.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 AM
The Man

WWH, you may know this, but there are some "natural water slides" on the way out of town that you may want to stop and try. We didn't make it, but the parking lot was full.

Google "natural water slides in ohiopyle" and you'll get several hits. We ate downtown, and had a great cold beer just off the main drag.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Those slides are actually in Meadow Run, a smallish stream that dumps into the Yough just down from there. Many, many, many injuries have occurred both in the chutes, and walking on the very slick boulders along side of em. Be extremely careful. When we were younger, we would jump off of the car bridge on 381 that crosses the Yough just pass the town. STUPID, but we were young, and often suffering from various, ummmm "alterations", which is even MORE STUPID.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah I've been down those slides. Man did i take a good licking from them! Word to the wise the last small water fall is NOT DEEP at the bottom of the fall. You'd think when you go over that fall you'd just splash/fall into a nice deep pool. NOPE it's only maybe a foot deep. Becareful!! Also those rapids can really really pull you down! I tried stopping several times and the only thing I found that worked was trying to lodge my legs in some rocks. Yeah, not smart. If you go down them be very careful!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Yeah, and be careful with small children. Back when my daughter was an infant, I was holding her and walking the boulders along there. I hit a "slicker" and down I went. I wasn't about to compromise the baby to break my fall with an arm, so I took the full force. Hurt like you know what.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yes those rocks are treacherous. I have been down the slides on my butt at summer flows, but I have not done them like I really want too. Here is a sample of the slides real potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iudE9kZcs78
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:40 PM

I floated the Middle Yough on my B'day in....mmmm.... 1982 ? Early October. Had to tug the raft through in some spots. You wouln't of thought a "rapid" even existed on that river. Much different than spring flows when the dam discharge approaches 10,000 CFS.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page