Help/Suggestions needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help/Suggestions needed

We have a cabin located in the Slate Run area, Lycoming County and with the recent storms that have gone through, they have left us with quite a dilemma. Currently, there are atleast 8-9 trees, approximately 75-100 feet in length laying in our yard and we need them removed. We are trying to locate a lumber company that might be interested in taking them away. At this point we are not looking to make any money, or spend any money, we just simply want them removed. So, if anyone knows any lumber companies up in that area that might be interested, please shoot me a PM.

The trees are all extremely straight and (it would appear) would certainly have good value. Additionally, they are located right next to a dirt road and it would be very easy for a lumber company with the appropriate equipment to cut the trees and then lift them and put them right on there lumber trucks.

So, if anyone has anything for me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Re: Help/Suggestions needed

A. You didn't say what kind of trees.

B. Anything less than veneer-grade cherry, and you'll be hard pressed to get an outfit of any size to take them away (cost is great, timber prices are down). You may be better off advertizing for free firewood.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Sage

I agree. I had something similar at my place. I had nine oaks cut down. Since they were straight and big and like two feet in diameter (or bigger), I figured I'd get some money for them but after contracting a forester and a tree service, I wound up paying to have them taken away. The Free firewood is a good idea. You'll get rid of the branches and limbs easily that way. Not sure about the saw logs. You could try putting them on Craigslist.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

try deer park lumber in wyoming county
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

call the DCNR office in Waterville and ask what companies are actively cutting timber sales in the area, then call those companies.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

i cant imagine there are not locals that would love the wood, of course type of wood is important. if its burnable for heat you should have no problem getting rid of it

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Blowdown trees get "shook", unprofessional logger term. It means they get internally stressed and damaged. No mill will be interested in them. I drove past your place last week, I am sure. PM me if you want some help, I will buck them up for you if you can get a few trucks or a good tractor there. From what I saw, you should not be messing with some of those if you are not chainsaw savvy !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Joe, im not trying to be smart here, but i do have to ask a question, because you are not the first person to bring up the situation of a "shook" tree as you call it.

What is the difference between a logger cutting a tree down with a chainsaw and the tree falling because of a storm? At the end of the day, didnt the tree, fall and hit the ground in absolutely the same manner?

and what i find amusing, is the same guys going around trying to get us to pay to have these trees removed from our property have all told us that "these trees are of no value", yet for all of our neighbors, they have measured each one prior to cutting them, and have them all neatly stacked ready to haul off seperately from the other debri....interesting....why would they go to that effort if they arent worth anything?

Again, im not trying to be smart, these are just the questions we are asking when observing everything that is going on and what is being told to us....something like this is certainly new to us!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The truth is, some of them will be fine, some of them will be damaged. I am far from a scientist, but it has something to do with them coming out of the ground roots and all. A lumber mill will not mess with them because it is not worth their time and effort, there is not enough to make the profit they need. It all depends on what kind of trees they are. If they are hemlock, pine, etc. they are practically worthless. I understand your concern, I explain this kind of stuff every day. My cabin is 30 minutes from you, if you want me to take a look for you I'd be glad to. It will cost you a handshake and maybe one can of beer for my "expert" analysis. Let me know!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page