Camp Purchase Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Camp Purchase Questions

So I'm very close to making an offer on a camp in Huston Twsp, Clearfild Cty. Two things that concern me are:

1. It has an outhouse which is not a problem in itself, but it sits only ~25ft from a stream. Can this become a problem when a sale is made. i.e. can the township make me install a conventional septic system since it will have a new owner?

2. There is only 1 very small bedroom. I would have to build an addition. Are camps exempt from building codes? The existing camp I am sure was not built to code.

Any feedback would be appresiated.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Sage

Re: Camp Purchase Questions

Outhouse should be grandfathered in, but I'll let the Pa. guys answer this..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Ron is correct. The outhouse would be grandfathered so it is probably OK.
As to your addition, if you register the camp as recreational you are somewhat exempt from building code law enforcement. You should check with the township in which the cabin is located to be certain as to what they require. Here are the regulations as they pertain:
Quote:
A Recreational Cabin Affidavit is an exemption from state wide Building Codes and replaces a building permit. Please note that it is not an exemption from all other permits including a sewage permit. Any structure that will be occupied by humans requires some kind of sewage permit. Contact your municipality to get the name and phone number of the SEO.
http://seorich.webs.com/recreationalcabin.htm
Here is a link to the form that has to be submitted for a recreational cabin. I think there are a few other hoops, which shooter is more familiar with than I am.
http://www.paconstructioncodesacadem...usion_Form.pdf

Shooter dealt with this extensively in a post at this link.
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...Number=2203198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM

You're probably OK until you start making additions to the building. I would suggest contacting the Township Supervisors and getting your questions answered in writing.

If Russ B responds, you can bank on what he says.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. Will be making a call to the town supervisor tomorrow.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Part of the Community

ADKTrapper-
One major piece you left out of your question was...is your cabin a state lease camp or a private camp? If it is a state lease camp there are regulations that you must abide by. If it is a state lease cabin, the outhouse should have been outfitted with a modern concrete holding tank and that should meet the requirements of the state. If it does not have a concrete holding tanks, you WILL be required to replace the old with the new tank. I think most cabins have been switched over to concrete holding tanks a few years ago.

You should be exempt from building codes since it is a recreational cabin, however if it is a state lease cabin you must notify your district forester before any work or modifications are planned to be made. They will want to meet with you to go over what you are doing and they will want to make sure you are not allowing any "grey water" from the inside. Most of the state foresters are good guys and are easy to work with, however some of them can be a real pain in the $#@ if you disregard their rules. I've received some good info about the rules with state cabins because I'm in the middle of remodeling mine as we speak. Good luck with your piece of heaven!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It is a private camp.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

25-feet is the required isolation distance between a stream and an outhouse. So you are OK here!

Adding an addition would not likely trigger any required upgrades to the outhouse. However, demolishing the old camp and building a new structure could require that the outhouse be brought up to modern regulations (basically adding a concrete vault under the outhouse and proper venting.

Filing the Recreational Cabin Affidavit with the Municipality would exempt you from having to complying with building codes; however you would still be required to install smoke / CO2 alarm and fire extinguishers inside the camp - one of each in each bedroom and in the kitchen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page