Penfield area camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Penfield area camp

Camp for sale near Penfield. THought about taking a ride and looking at it. Anyone have a camp near there and if so can you comment on the deer and grouse hunting.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Penfield area camp

Nice area, we have a camp a few miles down the road and I live in DuBois. Is the camp listed with a realtor. If you need any help, drop me a line
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a camp off Rt 153 between SB Elliot & Parker Dam, we do most of our deer hunting in the SB Elliot.Crystal Springs area The deer hunting has not been as good as it was years ago, not seeing as many deer. Good bear hunting, don't know about the small game hunting.
Good Luck

Member NWTF
NRA Life Member
Member DU
Camp Maalox Clearfield Co
Proud Member Tom Kelly TENTH LEGION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Very nice area! I have a camp over by Frenchville wich is about 25 minutes away. Penfield is a nice area. Should be plenty of grouse and some deer if you look hard enough. Also bear, turkey and elk. Not far from Parker Dam St Park. My favorite PA St Park!

I say at least take a look at the camp.

If you continue to do what you're doing, you'll only get what you have gotten.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well I'm going to look at the camp next Saturday. I generally do my deer hunting (rifle) on SGL 33 just outside Philipsburg. Like many North Central areas the deer population has taken quite a hit over the past several years. Despite that, that is where I hunted with my dad as a kid and I will never miss rifle season in that area. Hopefully it all works out - most of my family is gone now from the area so a camp would be nice to have. Does anyone know if there are any ATV trails near Penfield - would provide added use for a camp.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
dce
Sage

I live a few miles from penfield.The deer,bear,turkey and grouse hunting are all very good as long as you find the right habitat.There's alot of state land and also alot of land owned by both timber companies and the Western Pa conservancy.People complain about low deer numbers all accross the state.I personally don't see a lack of deer around here.There's are loads of excellent places to hunt between Penfield and Sabula.Shoot me a PM and I'll personally show you several very good spots.Every year,my one buddy and I have several days where we see over 20+ deer a day on public land within 5 minutes of Penfield.

ATV's can be tricky.People ride them all over the place but most people are riding them where they aren't supposed to.If you leave Penfield and stay on Rt 153 going towards Brockport,take a right at the top of the hill.You'll be in Elk county and most of the twp roads are open to ATV use.I know people that leave from Dubois on their ATV's and ride all the way to the Medix hotel.They claim it's legal but I can't imagine how.Amost every house around here has ATV's.They all get ridden somewhere.It most cases they go where they aren't supposed to however.

When you're up that way,drop in to see Cliff Cessna at his taxidermy studio on Mountain run road.You'll be impressed with what that area has to offer.Loads of places to hunt.Loads of public land and not much pressure.I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

If you have a fax machine,pm me your number.I'll shoot some stuff over to you that will make your jaw drop.There are areas with very poor habitat and very low deer numbers.However,there are also areas with alot of deer and recovering habitat.We ran out of coffee yesterday so I ran to the Minute Mart in Penfield.I took a loop around Moshannon state forest on my way home and couldn't believe how much the habitat was starting to recover in places.The best times are starting right now.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Whers this camp located? I have family in Penfield. Our camp is not to far away in the moshannon state forest. I hunted every opening day for my first 15 years of hunting in Penfield between mountain run rd and hickory rd. I got a buck every single year until the extermination project was enacted. Alot of my close family and extended family still hunt those hills and its pretty bad for deer. There was a time when you could drive up mt. pleasant and see over 200 deer. Now your hard pressed to see 20. Not a bad place to have a camp but id look elsewhere to hunt. Maybe south towards Dubois or west.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
dce
Sage

Joe,I hunt between Hickory road and Mountain run road all the time.This year I spent the first day trying to chase deer past my buddy in that exact area.He saw over 30 deer,including three different bucks by the time we stopped to drag a deer out of there.We went to the same spot on the first saturday and I killed a doe and we were out of there by noon.We went about 1/4 mile away on the last day and killed two more deer and saw well over 25 deer between three of us.The two guys that were with me never even stepped foot in that area before.Total number of other hunters seen in those three days was about 4.The year before,we hunted the same general area and my same buddy once again saw over 30 on the first day.He saw over 20 in one group.On the first saturday of that year,I killed a doe and saw 14 before 7:30am.Their ain't no lack of deer in those hills.That area has some steep,thick hillside.Unless you get the deer up and moving,you may get an illusion that there's not alot of deer.Walk through there after a fresh snowfall and there will be tracks everywhere.Seriously,if someone thinks that area has no deer,I don't know what they could possibly expect.

The year before that,we hunted off of Evans fire tower road.I had to pass on a 8 point with at least an 18 inch spread that was within spitting distance on the first day.I had to pass on another decent buck on the first saturday and killed a doe after seeing about another dozen deer before that.A few miles away in 2008,on Fire tower road(used to be county line rd)we each saw over 20 deer and killed several more doing small one man drives on the first saturday of that season.

There's 1200 acres owned by the Western Pa conservancy that goes from Kilmer rd,crosses Brown school road and then crosses mountain run road.We went right past it around 5:30am on the first saturday on our way to mountain run.There were between 15-20 deer heading out of Kilmer's fields right into the conservancy property,which is open to the public.

I live less than a mile from Kilmers farm(the farm with the big moose in the front yard)on Kilmer road.This past spring I was taking my daughter to the bus stop and counted over 50 deer from my field to Kilmer's.That's alot of deer considering it's only about a mile and there's only a few small fields.Some days,I'll look out behind my barn and see nothing.Other days there's over 30 deer in a herd.This year on the last afternoon,we got done hanging some deer up in my barn and looked accross the road and saw at least 20 deer just feeding in my neighbors corn field.It was the last day and the deer were just out feeding like it was August.There's far more pressure around my house than there is on the mountain.That's why I hunt there.I don't even hunt near my house during rifle season.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I went to DAHS in the 90's and hunted around the penfield area with a buddy who lives there, we had good luck with deer and small game, and as mentioned by others there are some good state parks close to there, small town people are nice, I would check out the camp, good luck.

Molon Labe
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Looked at the camp today. Very nice with electric, water, cable, phone (capable). Will likely make an offer this week. On our way in noticed a sign that read "On-Target Shooting Range". Anyone know anything about it. Would like a place to shoot in the area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page