Turkey Camp Pictorial - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Turkey Camp Pictorial

I got to camp Friday afternoon the day before the 2011 Spring Gobbler Opener. This was the first time someone would be at camp since mid-December. This four-month over-winter stretch is the longest camp sits empty and the brave soul or souls who open it up for the year never know what they’ll find.
I noticed right away the windows were fogged shut from the inside and thought…”that can’t be good”. The front door was stuck from swelling and when I finally forced my way in this is what I found.

The roof over the front room had sprung a major leak causing two large sections of drywall to collapse. There was water on the floor and the furniture was soaked…what a mess! I hauled the wet sheetrock, insulation and furniture outside and mopped up the floor…good enough for now. I headed down to the local gun club to shoot a couple of rounds of trap and more importantly, catch up with local friends I hadn’t seen since last fall/early winter.
Hunting was uneventful Saturday, called one in but he hung up and ended up busting me (snuck in and spotted me moving). I spent the afternoon finishing the clean-up in the front room.

My other two camp members arrived Sunday.

We built a fire and burned the wet furniture, threw an old box springs and mattress on too.

The Martians have landed lol.

Monday I called in a Jake and left him walk. An hour later I called in a hen with a nice longbeard following her. I had him dead-to-rights at 35 yards and was dumbfounded when he failed to drop at the shot. As I was pacing off the shot I noticed this little sapling for the first time. It was 20 yards from where I shot and caught up most of the pellets.

The longbeard was standing in front of that sapling down there, 15 yards beyond the tree I hit.

Tuesday was a total washout with steady, sometimes heavy rain all morning. I went out early, got soaked and went back out for the last hour and a half to get soaked again. Rex’s chili sure tasted good after that. Here he is enjoying his homemade chili over a bed of Fritos.

The Nodding Red Trillium is one of my favorite native plants.

Anybody know what these are? My buddy says they are scarlet caps but I don’t think so?

Wednesday was a big day at camp. I called in a nice longbeard and killed it a little before seven.

I got back to camp and my buddy’s truck was there. He had killed one also. He killed his longbeard at 6:27, 23 minutes before me. He said he heard me shoot (we were ˝ mile or so apart) while he was loading his bird in his truck. The birds were nearly identical; both weighed 19 pounds and had 8˝” beards. Mine had spurs 15/16 and 1”, his had spurs that were both 1 1/16” long.

I’ve seen plenty of pairs of grouse, lots of pheasants and even a couple pair of woodcock hanging from this hook on the porch but I’ve never seen a pair of turkeys hanging there before.

I make wingbone calls. I made this one for my buddy out of the bones of a spring gobbler he killed last year. I’m no artist, so I cringed when he ask for a red trillium and brook trout to be included on the call. He liked it, that’s all that matters. I thought it was pretty cool that he used this call to call in and kill a gobbler exactly one year, not only to the day but, within ten minutes of when he killed the one the wingbone came from.

The giddiness of success seems to have made him a bit crazy.

Here we are having my homemade apple-venison sausage for supper.

It was Mike’s turn to dry dishes but he offered to clean the guns instead.

I was quick to agree, Rex and I were done with dish duty long before he was done cleaning guns.

Rex and Mike pulled out Thursday. Mike got up at 4:00 A.M to see me off before I went hunting and Rex stuck around until afternoon to have lunch with me before he left. Friday I hunted with a local friend.

We found these tracks, anybody know what they are?

Coming home from the trap shoot Friday evening I saw these two red fox gobbling up some sort of insects in this field. I think they were crickets but I’m not positive.

One of the big highlights this trip was seeing a sow black bear with three small cubs. I was coming up a steep skid trail and they were walking down the slope. I was behind a big cherry tree when I saw them so had a chance to get the camera out. At forty yards she turned onto the skid trail and started toward me. I had the camera up and was waiting for it to load (it was taking forever). If I’d have had the courage to wait a few more seconds for it to load I would have had the picture of a lifetime. Instead, at about twenty yards I shouted at her and waved my free arm causing all four to run back up the hill the way they’d come. All I got was this pic of one cub’s head and another’s rear end (hard to see but they are there).

It was a great Turkey Camp with my good friends and I’ll end it with one of my favorite pics of the three of us with the “turkey double”.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
The Man

Re: Turkey Camp Pictorial

Great pics !!!!!thanks for sharing !!

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 AM

as waylon would say,
dont go taking me seriously
cause i poked at you in fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 AM

Great report with great pics! Nice looking call too!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 AM

Looks to be very enjoyible for all involved, with the exception of those two gobblers..

Thanks for sharing.....
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

nice post,enjoyed the pics and stories

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice story and a great pictorial.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM
RB
Sage

Great post!!!!!!! That really was, I see a little Jack after a good day is not uncommon...

I think those are fisher tracks?

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice pics, and my vote goes for fisher tracks also.

Free Madcatter!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Sage

Looks like a great time to me... thanks for sharing!!

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page