The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ohio Camp gets a Cabin

26K views 135 replies 33 participants last post by  NorthernPotterCo 
#1 ·
Probably should have started this a while back, but this has been a busy summer. Anyway last year we purchased some property in Ohio that had an older camper on it. While it was somewhat functional for us our goal was to build a cabin this summer. We went back and forth several times on whether to build ourselves or to go with a Amish built Shabin. We ended up building it ourselves. Been doing most of this on the weekend and also used a few vacation days. The weather has been absolutely horrible this summer. Seems like every time we worked we were in the rain and mud or it was hot. Would like to have been further along, but we are happy to be staying in it now. It is 24X30 with 6x16 of that being a porch on the back. It has been a good character builder for the kids who have helped thru all the phases. Although I will admit that at times I wish we would have went prefab route, I am very happy now that we didn't. We started Memorial Day weekend and started staying in it in mid July. Actually I need to take a couple pics of the outside as the soffit and fascia are now finished.

8356D6EB-FC30-4DC4-985E-2474C7759FE7_zpswajsahft by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

We still have alot to do, but alot of that is going to wait until next year. Still need to get the wood stove hooked up along with a sink and a few other small projects. Some of that can be done during the middle of the day on early season bowhunts. Finishing the walls, floors and putting up siding will be next year.

See less See more
#5 ·
Darn good question. We don't know yet. Would like to go with something rustic looking, but also something that is relatively cheap. One of the big reasons that it won't be done to next year. If anyone has any suggestions, please fire away.

#16 ·
Got the stove hooked up this weekend and also the sink. I still need to get a solar system for the battery, but for temporary I am just going to charge at home and haul the battery back and forth.

#21 ·
Well we got the triple wall installed and the wood stove hooked up. This was the last major project for the year since deer season is coming up. Still have several projects to complete, but they can wait until next summer.

#26 ·
Well we got the triple wall installed and the wood stove hooked up. This was the last major project for the year since deer season is coming up. Still have several projects to complete, but they can wait until next summer.
How was going through the metal roof? Confidence in the flashing?

#22 ·
For your interior walls they used to sell a Birch paneling that had wildlife and wildlife scenes stamped on it, would look good in your camp.. A friend had it in his kitchen and it looked good there...You have great looking camp , enjoy.....I have helped a few friends build camps, I enjoyed the build as much or more than the hunting..

#25 ·
I read a ton about drywall in unheated, seasonal buildings and that was more than enough even consider it. It can handle the temperature swings okay, but with those temp swings comes changes in humidity and drywall just doesn't like moisture of any kind.

#30 ·
I know I said I was done, but I ordered a 50 Watt Renogy Solar Kit on Amazon last night. I don't anticipate it being much of a big deal to install and I already own the marine battery. Will probably mess around with it at home first anyway. I plan on building my mounting bracket at home too so the install should go quickly.

One thing I want to add is some 12 V lights and a switch. Anyone have any suggestions for fixtures? What size wire do I need?

#33 ·
I used standard porcelain fixtures on boxes and ran 14g stranded wire everywhere. That said, I'm not planning to ever add grid power so I know my entire system is going to stay 12V. Because of the low current I'm using I also used standard 120V switches....you're not supposed to do that because of the oscillation of DC vs. AC but due tot he low current it's not an issue for me. A lot of my wire is speaker wire, actually. It's cheap, gives me the two conductors I need and it easy to work with. I sourced the bulbs on Amazon....they're standard base, LED and look like a normal LED bulb but are 12V instead of 120V.

Reactions: cspot
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.