Food plot suggestions. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Food plot suggestions.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for planting a small food plot. I've been looking for places that might rent a harrow and seeder to tow behind an ATV, but can't find any. The plot is only about 2 acres so I don't really want to spend a grand to get started. It's on leased land so we never know if we can use it from year to year. Any suggestions? I'm in Sullivan County PA.

I'm not trying for perfection, just improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Re: Food plot suggestions.

[email protected]

Here is a good resource for food plots you can send soil samples into to them and they will tell you what you need to make everything right. They were nice people to deal with shoot them and email with any question and they will help you get to the right place.

If you are looking for trees, this place rocks! Quality trees with a quality service, if you have any questions about pollination or what goes good with what shoot them and email and they will help you out. They have a list there which trees drop fruit when.

http://www.acnursery.com/acn_planting.php

Take care,

Snapper
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 PM
The Man

Since you don't have a disc there's some options.Get a soil sample then lime.Spray with roundup to kill the vegetation.
Then try something easy toward fall.Maybe a red clover/rye grain mix.After you plant if you get a decent rain it will grow.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
The Man

after helping a friend build several food plots useing plow/disc, we found the plow turned up all the rocks, and the disc could not break up the sod. i was useing my 38hp kubota with a set of ford 3pt disc, which are quite heavy for 3pt disc. still couldnt touch the old sod.

last plot i helped him build, he rented a 20hp tractor with a rear rototiller. best thing we did! that worked great. just set it a few inches deep and made a few passes. lime/fert/seed. we use a piece of chain link fence behinf a 4 wheeler and drug it over plot after seeding to get soil contact.

it was easy to do, and worked well.

once you establish the plot, you can go back in spring and frost seed over any ares that may need it.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 AM
The Man

2 acres is pretty darn big actually. What county is your lease in? I know people up here that do this type of thing cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page