Venango County Camp Burglaries - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Venango County Camp Burglaries

I went up to my camp on Eagle Rock Rd Friday evening to do some hunting in the morning, to find my camp was burglarized once again. My neighbor’s camp was also hit. If anyone has any info of interest please shoot me a PM.

The last time they trashed EVERYTHING they could or did not take they just smashed or broke it and left it behind. This time they just took what they wanted and left everything else alone. I guess I got off lucky this time, my dad’s bear rug and skull were left alone. I could kill a 100 bears and never replaced that. It is a part of owning a camp it happens about every 7 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Venango County Camp Burglaries

That's a shame, I hunt venango. We don't have a camp just land, but we get lots of trespassers,litterbugs, and atv's. Hope you can find who did it, at least they didn't mess with your dads bear.

Molon Labe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
my dad’s bear rug and skull were left alone. I could kill a 100 bears and never replaced that.
Why in the world is it still sitting in that camp if it means that much to you ? Get it the heck out of there. If yer wife don't like it, store it in an attic.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Okay has anyone ever been through this before? I have Donagal Insurance Company who covers camp for the basics vandalism, fire, Ect. They will not cover it for theft because it is not a permanent dwelling. My home owners Nation Wide has some type of clause that they will not cover the theft unless we are there then leave then come back within a few hours??? I thought I was covered I had no idea that if I was gone for two weeks that I would be over some type of time frame?? I talked to my Donagal agent who previewed my other policy he said I was good to go. The policy made it sound as if they would cover it. My Donagal agent even called my Nation Wide agent and his boss for me. I’m still losing out big time, I am the victim of a crime, I have done nothing wrong. Any advice?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No good advice. I am certain that it is a crappy feeling.

Read your policy better and get adequate insurance if its available for your situation.

Otherwise get a security system and video recorders. Would be expensive, but having a picture of a face or a license plate and actually catching someone the next time would be worth it.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I thought I was good, I spoke to my rep. from Donegal after reviewing everything he said I would be covered he is arguing the point for me with Nation Wide.

I have a security system up there it was temporarily dismantled because we are remodeling. We had the place gutted a few months back and are giving her a total make over. Hence the 2.5 grand worth of hand tools that were up there. You just simply cannot take everything home every time when doing a job this size. We took all of the high dollar tools home, air guns, saws, ect. As time or the project went on we ended up with more and more stuff up there. The highest dollar amount for any item stolen was $129.00. There were just a lot of little things up there. The very next step was wiring back up the security system. It was just bad timing for me, and great timing for them.

Which is the story of my life.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally, I think I would be most upset with my insurance company. You pay good money for the sense of security that insurance is supposed to provide. You likely went with what the agent recommended for coverage.

IMO this is a worse theft than the actual theft.

Good luck.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The thief’s were as respectable as thief’s can be they did no damage other than the door and what was stolen. The last time they just smashed EVERYTHING they did not take. I really thought I was good I talked to my agent who said I was okay through my home owner with any thefts. Anything other than thefts would be covered through them since it is a seasonal residence. I am just beside myself my place gets broken into, I lose over 2.5 grand worth of stuff, I thought I was good to go with my insurance, I just keep getting burnt. I did nothing wrong yet I keep losing…

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page