Harmony TWP , Forest County - ATV Ordinance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Harmony TWP , Forest County - ATV Ordinance

I get the Forest Press and in there lately has been discussion and letters to the editor concerning Harmony Twp's direction to allow all ATV's on the twp roads. Several residence are totally against it while there are those who are fine with.

Anyone else have a camp or friends with camps in Harmony Twp and what are your thoughts on this issue?

2F for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Harmony TWP , Forest County - ATV Ordinance

I don't have camp in this county but... We have to have our atv's licensed and insured, why not let us use them on dirt roads? I bet this would cut down the trespassing complaints from private land owners, well maybe some. but then again you please everyone. Our neighboring township in Potter allow atv's on the dirt roads and ours doesn't have an ordinance that allows or not allow atv's keeping us in a gray area.

The United States Constitution (c) 1787. All Rights reserved.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I agree that it could keep down on the trespassing but it could also take riders places they have never seen before...kinda like "hey wonder where that loggin road goes to?" sorta thing.

What regulations does the other township have in place for atv's on the roads? Signs? Speed limits?

The supervisors say it will be up to PSP to enforce the new ordinance on those who wish to ride on the twp roads. Does the other twp do the same? Do those who ride the roads generally abide by everything and use common sense?

If this passes, I will definately be taking advantage of it.

2F for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You will always have the adventurers, where does that go... Yes, PSP does patrol most of the roads as the smaller townships don't have a police force of their own. The roads are marked for atv's, I believe they have to go by posted speed limits(not many signs on them) which is 35mph(correct me if I'm wrong) for most dirt roads. For the most part folks ride decent but like every where else you have that 5% that just act like fools. I hate to say but most accidents are people from southern pa that get up there drinking and riding WELL above their skill level. I don't think a year has gone by that 1 or 2 people have gotten killed riding in Potter. Our rule in camp is that NO one gets on an atv without a helmet!

The United States Constitution (c) 1787. All Rights reserved.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Last nights Forest Press said it had gone through but is not in effect until all of the signs are properly installed. This should take approximately 30 days.

2F for a while...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL12
The supervisors say it will be up to PSP to enforce the new ordinance on those who wish to ride on the twp roads.
The laws must have been changed since I retired. PSP DID NOT enforce any ordinances !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Sage

I guarantee you this: I will NEVER register or insure my ATV until I can drive on any road with it.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:55 AM

If you want to ride State or the National forests , you must be registered and have at least liability insurance. This may be a result / test for a discution that started about snowmobilers being allowed on MANY roads that ATVers were NOT . While the same money and requirements were imposed on ATVers .
But , as Triple stated , I'm afraid that 5% will ruin it before it catches on in other areas .
The only honest statement I recieved when inquireing about this to Allegheny National Forest officials , was that they were afraid that by increasing road use , the ATVers would add to the DUIs that the snowmobilers were already getting by bar-hopping from town to town . I politely had to disagree and asked to not be prejudged . I sure hope it works out . I'd try it just for something different .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

they still dont...local responsibility

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47studebaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL12
The supervisors say it will be up to PSP to enforce the new ordinance on those who wish to ride on the twp roads.
The laws must have been changed since I retired. PSP DID NOT enforce any ordinances !
Maybe that was something the supervisors used to attempt to calm the residents. Be it true or not.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page