Advice on shabin deck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Advice on shabin deck

hey guys,
wanted some advice on building my 16x6 deck on the shabin. I planned on using those pre-cast footings on top of ground with 4x4 post being the deck will be only 2-3 feet off ground at highest point. Will it twist and bend over winters or should I just sink those post 3' below ground? The shabin(16x20) sits on 6x6 on top of 8" crushed stone.Does anybody have their decks low to the ground on block footings? Any ideas or opinions would help, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Advice on shabin deck

We built one at camp. we dug holes 3 foot deep 12 inches across and filled with concrete. Put 6x6 metal brackets on top of concrete anchored to piller. Cut 6x6 to height mounted to bracket and built off of that. I am sure there are other ways but thats how we did it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
The Man

It will be fine. It will rise and fall with frost heave but it won't do any damage. If it supported something like a sunroom that had drywall on it then that would be a different story. My house deck is sitting on those pre-cast pyramid blocks 7' in the air. I built it probably 14 years ago and have had no problem.

Every action has a re-action! 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage

6x12 back porch deck at my camp, sits on 4" solid blocks on one side (three posts), fastened to the cabin on the other side.

Think I've jacked it up a tad and leveled the blocks a time or two, in the past 25 years. But only 'cause I'm fussy. What goes up during the winter, comes back down again in the spring. We're only talking about an inch or so.

Porch deck is only about 2' to 30" off'n the ground.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Porch deck is only about 2' to 30" off'n the ground.
Just high enough for an old geezer to misstep and fall off, break a hip, and ruin his hunting season.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Sage

Learned to "roll with the punches" years ago.

One year I tripped and fell, coming down through the steep woods behind camp during buck season. My bud was also coming in to camp, down on the bench at the bottom of the hill and got to watch.

I did a tuck'n roll, came up on my feet, cradling my rifle. He hollered up, "Lemme see you do that again".

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
One year I tripped and fell, coming down through the steep woods behind camp during buck season. My bud was also coming in to camp, down on the bench at the bottom of the hill and got to watch.

I did a tuck'n roll, came up on my feet, cradling my rifle. He hollered up, "Lemme see you do that again".
ONE YEAR ? Yeah, ONE YEAR that probably worked quite well. Problem is, it's tough duplicating 1970 in the year 2011.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage

Ibuilt my deck with 6x6 treated posts,dig your holes 3 ft deep then throw a bag of sacrete ineach hole and let it harden , then put the post in on that, snowload wont push it down further..I put post up by the house as well and made it freestanding....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i've seen and done all kinds of decks and the one that my dad did on our camp in about '76 was just 4x4's on 6' centers sitting on top of concrete blocks dug into the ground a little with some gravel under them. the deck was 5 feet high, 6 feet wide and 28 feet long. it lasted 30 years and i just tore it down a couple years ago. i'm an "overbuilder" and never go light on anything but that deck my dad did still amazes me. and believe it or not it was made out of pine framing lumber. not pressure treated. he just creosoted the heck out of it for the first 20 years or so and it lasted. i still have some of the decking i use for projects. and i still have about 10 gallons of his creosote too. that stuff is amazing but will burn the skin off you if it touches you. can't be real good for you either.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Sage

The last house I lived in was built in 1985. The deck sat on 4x4 posts with a couple bricks under them. Never a problem. The deck is still there and fine, as far as I know.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page