Need some ideas for water system? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Need some ideas for water system?

First, thanks for all the compliments on the camp. I knew you guys are sincere in your well wishes. My son and I started de-construction of the current interior walls, and getting ready for the well to go in. Here is my question-

My crawl space is 6'high- about 2 rows of block away from a full basement. There is an access door (32x32) in one corner. The crawl space is below ground except at that access door, and that is at sill plate height.

If I were to put my pressure tank in the crawl space, what is the chance of it freezing during December when I'm not at camp on a steady basis, and how could I drain it when we shut down for the winter? How do I get the water uphill out of the crawl space?

My original plan is to put a low-boy HW tank in the bathroom on the main floor, and put the Pressure tank on a platform above it. That way I can drain both with a garden hose out the door and into the yard.

Looking for suggestions and ideas!!

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Sage

Re: Need some ideas for water system?

Dig a sump hole in that dirt floor and when the tank gets down from using it, drain it into that sump hole, just a thought
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Depending on where your well comes in you could dig a hole there surround it and insulate bit also have a drain off a tee to do just that. Think ahead when planning to winterize.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 PM

Personally I would want to put the pressure tank and HW heater in the crawl space if at all possible. First it would save space in the main cabin and also if it starts to leak there wouldn't be anything to damage. It looks like the cabin is not that old and I would guess that you may have french drains running around it that outlet somewhere? If you are only draining a couple of times a year then you should be able to let it run into the gravel. The other option is to run it into a sump hole and have a small sump pump to pump it outside. After your first winter you will see how cold it gets in the crawl space (put a high-low thermometer in it). I think they make insulated covers for pressure tanks and you could probably put a heat tape on it if you need to. The other option is to make a small insulated box in the crawl space for the tank and hot water heater with a thermostat hooked to a heater to kick on when the temp hits 35 degrees. If it is insulated well then it wouldn't need that much heat.

If most of the crawl space is below ground and it is sealed up pretty good, I would think that it wouldn't be too likely to go below freezing until it got really cold. In other words you would likely be good for deer hunting season, but maybe not Jan-Feb. Your first winter will tell the tale.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 PM

Another thought is are you sure that there isn't floor drains somewhere in the floor? For example when I built my pole building I put in a pipe for floor drains and had the stub below the gravel level so that when I concreted it a few years later all I had to do was attach the floor drain to the pipe and not have to dig a trench inside the building. You might want to check with the previous owner or do some investigating.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

It seems today when they drill a well the pressure tank is put in the ground. If it's a dug well I would put pressure tank with hot water tank inside camp and keep the heat on low if possiable
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM

I have had my camp for 37 years, well put it when we got it.I well driller put the PT in a hole below the frost line at the well shaft.Had to replace it onceI then filled the hole with trash bags of fiberglass insulation and covered the hole with pt plywood ,plastic and stone.Been like that for 25 years with noproblem
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 PM

I have about the same set up as you and i have my hot water heater and pressure take in the basement. I don't drain either of them and when i leave. I turn off the heat, pump, & open all the water lines and place antifreeze in sinks and tolets. There has never been an issue.

Life Member NRA
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Would this work-- when I have the sewer put in, put a screw cap on a Y connect in the main line going out and use that as a drain- I would only be putting 20 gallons of water from the pressure tank and 40 gallons of water from the HW heater into the system once a year. Since I am in Potter county, I figure I have to be ready for a lot of sub-zero weather.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with a tank less on demand hot water heater. You're not wasting money heating it when you're not there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page