Log Cabin pros and cons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Log Cabin pros and cons

For those that have them...Im interested in hearing the pros and cons...
Leaning towards a 2 story 4 bedroom with poured basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Re: Log Cabin pros and cons

I do not have one, but I have a few friends that do. Their biggest complaint has been battling the bugs. If you don't keep up with treating the wood, you could have some issues.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM

We almost went that route but
Pricey, labor intense and up keep kept us away
Pros Looks awesome
What ever u choose for u will be right

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure where you are located but finding someone to build it can be problematic. My brother had one built in clearfield county and he had to resort to out of state builders. Make sure whoever you purchase your kit from they have positive reviews of reputable builders in your area
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Part of the Community

I would agree with the bug comment. Hard to keep up with the carpenter bees, wasps, etc that seem to find every crevice to build. Pro - can't beat the look of real logs. The cool factor never wears off. We finished our build btw 3-4 yrs ago and every time we are there or we bring someone there you can't help but enjoy the uniqueness of logs.

The place we bought our kit from had a very reasonable contractor that put it under roof for us. I subcontracted the electric, rough plumbing, and excavating. Handled the interior stud walls, flooring, baths and kitchen myself or with help of friends.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We live in one that we purchased two years ago. It was built in the early 90's, and as I've mentioned in other threads, it's built like a tank. The gentleman that had it built clearly did not cut any corners, and cost was not a factor. Everything is top of the line. No matter what storms comes rolling through, I feel completely safe in this home. When you look at those beams and logs, and compare it to a cooker cutter home thrown up in a plan, you will see what I'm referring to.

The biggest con, and honestly about the only one I can think of, is the carpenter bees and the pileated woodpeckers. The bees bore the holes and the woodpeckers come and peck out the larva. It's incredibly frustrating. The damage that they do can be heartbreaking. We found spraying the bore holes at night when the bees go in them, and putting out fake owls has helped out the problem somewhat.

The pros are endless. You literally feel like your on vacation every day, and so does everyone who comes to visit. We live in a heavily wooded area in the mountains, so naturally it stays pretty cool. But the homes really insulate well in both the summer and winter. The stay cool, and stay warm.

As an outdoorsman, you will yearn to come home every day, and walk around your property to admire what you have. It's that fantastic.

If you go with an A frame style with the vaulted ceilings and a loft, you will lose a lot of heat up high. Ceiling fans you can reverse are critical. We heat with primarily wood but have a propane furnace as well.

I don't have a lot of experience from the building aspect, and I know they can be pricey to build, but to live in, it simply can't be beat. Vacation every day. You will find yourself needing to travel less and less.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bears love to mark their territory with the corners of mine. All 4 corners have been clawed and chewed and used as a scratching post. Only happens in June and early July(mating season). I have to put boards with nails in them on the ground by my corners. This is in Clinton co.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Alot of very good info!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM

My buddy has one - it's bugs and staining or water proofing. He is going to have someone sandblast it with corncobs. When he asked how much it was going to cost I figured $15K. When he told me $36K I'm glad I have brick.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire1
My buddy has one - it's bugs and staining or water proofing. He is going to have someone sandblast it with corncobs. When he asked how much it was going to cost I figured $15K. When he told me $36K I'm glad I have brick.
does the blasting remove the previous staining?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page