Any experience with having cabin property logged? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Any experience with having cabin property logged?

I have a 4 acre cabin property with mature timber that is adjacent to another large private property that will be cut off this summer. I am thinking of having the loggers come across while they are there and take down the timber behind the cabin which consists of live and dying hemlocks, some hickory, and oaks. The hemlocks are dying rapidly, or will die in the next 5 years from wooly algid and other than the "dark timber" view, there is really zero wildlife habitat there. My thought is to remove the dying hemlocks and misc timber and get something out of it, otherwise I will only end up with a tangled mess of hemlock tops and dead trees. Plus it would create some wildlife habitat in the process and hopefully bring some grouse, rabbits, and deer around the cabin. As it is now, we are not using the ground for any use. It would be an easy shot for the loggers to come across and harvest the timber. Other than a few seed trees, I would have most everything cut. The downside, of course, is that it will scar the ground and create an ugly mess for the next year or two until it starts to grow back. I contacted the Forrester that is handling he adjacent cut and he is coming over to look at the property. My concerns are residual damage to the cabin, what to do with the tops, and residual damage to remaining seed trees, and making sure I don't get ripped off and that the loggers follow through with what they are supposed to do.

If anyone has any advice to pass on, horror stories, positive stories, or things to be aware of, please feel free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Sage

Re: Any experience with having cabin property logged?

It will regenerate new growth for wildlife...listen to the forester's advice...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had our 10acres timbered about eight years ago. I'll share some thoughts. I'm not a logger nor a forester. The camp adjacent to us also has ten acres and we got together and had both properties cut at the same time. Our forester charged a fee for performing an inventory as well as obtaining bids for the work( I think it was a few hundred dollars). he provided a written inventory report that was really detailed by tree species and size. Your price has a lot to do with the quality of trees, species, and present lumber prices. We had a ton of cherry, oak, locust. Whoever is performing the cutting should be licensed so any structural property damage should be covered. Your contract should contain language on what clean up is required. All our skid roads where limed, seeded, and covered with hay. What trees are left on the ground has a lot to do with who is cutting. We had everything bigger than 4inches removed. Luckily, our cutter also sold firewood. We were really happy with the results. I've seen some areas where you wouldn't be able to walk thru the mess.
Post cutting is also a really good time to replant for next time. We purchased seedlings from the PGC and some nurseries and replanted oak, hickory, black walnut, cherry, and some apple. Threw in some blackberries also. Things grow incredible fast when the understory is opened up!
Get some references and go look at some previous work the logger has performed BEFORE signing anything.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Good advice, Beezer. thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Listen to the forester. 4 acres of dying hemlock and a few hickory is not worth much of anything....but you will be doing your property good for the future. If your oaks are healthy..I would leave them....

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM
The Man

I think it would be a big mistake to timber a 4 acre parcel where your cabin is. Maybe if you don't go there anymore or are desparate for a few bucks. Leave the trees and enjoy the beauty. The place will also be worth more with the trees.

Disclaimer, I buy timberland and real estate and actively cut sections of timber at my place for wildlife habitat. Just don't think that's the best option for you and one you probably will regret down the road.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Take out the hemlocks. Leave the Oak and Hickory. The increased light just might allow these shade intolerants to regenerate. The tops are your best friend, it wildlife is a goal. Don't be in any hurry to "clean it up". Work with an independent forester, not the one that is trying to buy your trees.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE.... www.AAFORESTRYANDWILDLIFESERVICE.COM
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate the advice thus far. This is a very small parcel and really the only reason I am even considering this is a matter of convenience. Since the property adjoins a large cut that will be in progress,the logs can be hauled out across the other property (with the permission of the other property owner). It is not a money issue but more so a long term improvement. The hemlocks are dying and there won't be much of a view as the years go on anyway and anything to improve wildlife habitat is a good thing. Also, removing trees would provide better access should we decide to drill a well or expand the cabin. Although, i am still trying to consider the down side of having it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page