Water Well Drilling Potter County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Water Well Drilling Potter County

We are looking a water well driller that serves southern Potter County (Wharton/Conrad area). Coudersport and Germania Well Drilling are both out of business. Thanks in advance.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage

Re: Water Well Drilling Potter County

I don't have any experience with them and don't know if they serve they area you're in but Andrews Well Drilling is in Wellsboro, PA. 570.724.4107

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Try New Way well drilling in Jersey Shore. I'm in northern clinton and they drilled mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Part of the Community

Just a point to ponder.
A person would think that water in Potter County would be good, just because of the remoteness of the location and the distance away from any large city, but in all actuality, the water in Potter County - drinking water, is some of the worst in the state.
One reason is because there is a pool of natural gas that is stored beneath the ground up in Potter County and it is pumped in the ground in the summer and removed from the ground in the winter.
All of the drinking water I have drank had a strange odor and or a high content of IRON.
I'm not sure if the OP knew about this when they bought their land or when they decided to move there.
I thought that the spring at the bottom of Niles Hill Road would have had good drinking water, but it didn't. In fact, one person commented that it was better before they put the new roof on the spring-house.
Now when I go there, I bring my own spring water from home - in Jefferson County!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Sage

Is that true for the entire county?

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigstyconrad
Coudersport and Germania Well Drilling are both out of business. Thanks in advance.
Coudersport Well Drilling went out of business? Any idea when that happened? That is too bad, they were a good outfit.

Eh...wot?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM
New Arrival

Cross Fork well drilling contact Danny Labonte in Cross Fork I don,t have phone number. Not all well water in potter county is bad but some areas do have a sulpher smell to it and can be treated.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yea, both Coudersport and Germania went out. Had mine drilled by Coudersport and she was good to work with. I understand there was a problem within,something about the son. Anyway, I had Andrews do my septic and they were good. I probably would have gotten a good deal if I would have had them do both, well and septic. Now the guy that worked for Andrews, Todd, was a goldmine of information. Something that I still keep today. Check around and get prices from everyone.
As for the water, yes the water [censored] here in Tioga (Gaines twsp) and most other places in the area. Coal is another reason why the water [censored]. Now you need to look at a water filtration system. I understand there is a woman from Wellsboro that installs a filtration system to the tune of $1100. People have gone that route and are happy. I, being the tightwad of all tightwads, didn't. I choose a small single filter that I installed onto my water system. You get what you pay for and this is one of those learning curves. After changing the filter several times and having a large brown ring in the toilet and water turning plastic cups brown, I ventured back to the computer to search for other alternatives. I found the whole house, three filter system from Home Depot useful. I installed that for $600. and I had the clearest, cleanest, and best tasting water within 30 minutes. Money well spent. You want to see the difference, just take a glass of water from my spigot from the well head outside on top of the well and then come inside and taste the water from the sink spigot.

Big D
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage

Depends on what's in the water table you've tapped into, as to whether or not is has sulphur, iron or calcium and other minerals.

When I built a house here at home in the mid 70s, we had three wells drilled on adjoining lots. First two had horrible water, so I had the guy keep going on my lot. Neighbors had iron/sulpher treatment systems in addition to a water softener. All I ever had was a water softener, different "vein" of water.

Our old place across the valley from camp was fed from a sulphur spring. Always enjoyed filling the water heater each year and turning it on.

Eventually everyone learned to clear out when I opened the kitchen faucets and fogged the place with that rotten egg smell, once the water was hot.

Current camp well is fed by a spring. No sulphur, but the water is very hard. With the current drought, not much water, either. Well is only about 120' deep. Next place up the road has a well several hundred feet deep and they have iron and other minerals in their water.

Some of the wells in the area are over 400 feet deep to get any water at all.

Ours was punched in 1980 by McLaughlin's in Westfield (Tioga Co.) and the son is still drilling wells. Just did one last deer season on the other side of the ridge from me. Heard that's another 400 footer?

Buddy that built a camp south of Galeton in the mid 80s, had Germania finish his well after Eichelberger's couldn't find water with their rotary rig back then. IIRC that well was over 400' deep when finished and was the third or fourth attempt at a well on his place.
Dennis Hill likes this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Back in 1995 I had a well done in Clinton county by Renova and If i recall there were two types of drilling. I went for the cheaper way -(Rotary drilling)

I was at the top of the mountain & they had to go down 400 feet. I think I paid $3300 at that time.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page