Susky cabin/shed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Susky cabin/shed

I wanna put a shed on my property...cabin is on the Susquehanna and it was hammered in 2011. Anyone know what the FEMA regs are for putting up a shed? I heard it was supposed to be "anchored" but there are at least 12 sheds within a half mile of my place that are brand new and just put on the ground. Would appreciate some help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Susky cabin/shed

Check with the municipality where you want to put the shed. They more than likely participate in the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) and will have an ordinance that is required by FEMA to participate in the NFIP. This ordinance will comply with FEMA regs. The Susq. River is within the borders of a county and therefore a municipality. For example, the river is in Lancaster County and York County's border is the near shore of the River.So if I wanted to develop on the River between those two counties, I would be under the particular Lancaster County municipal ordinance at my island location.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Checked out the FEMA-NFIP regs...shed is considered an "Accesssory Structure" and the structure needs to be "Adequatelt Grounded" so that it does not float away. windows/vents need to be facing such that the river can flow freely thru them. As far as "Adequately Grounded" that seems like a vague term to me. I am going to rebar my shed to the ground as well as putting a cast iron pipe into the ground and chain the pipe to the shed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Why would you not want to anchor it? I would not want my shed heading for the Chesapeake after a flood.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I don't want to pay a ton of money to put footers in....just wanna hook it up to ensure it does not float away...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Dig a hole (30 inches)for each corner post, put the post in with concrete around it. Elevate it a little to allow flow under it. Cheap, and pretty effective.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

NJOY...thanks...I was thinking of doing that...maybe use some rebar...have a bunch of them in a barn doing nothing...also talked with TTown Sheds in Tunkhannock, where I probably will buy my shed,...they said they will deliver and put my shed in according to FEMA regs...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
The Man

I had a Camper at a Campground in Liverpool on the Susqy.
Most of the Seasonal Campers all had sheds built on a trailer set up.
In the event of a flood all they had to do was hook up to the shed and move it to higher ground.
Not sure what size shed your looking to have.
Not sure if this helps you out, just an idea to think about.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxc
I don't want to pay a ton of money to put footers in....just wanna hook it up to ensure it does not float away...
Ah..ok. I thought you did not want to anchor it.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Part of the Community

There is no such thing as FEMA regulations for land development. There is only a FEMA requirement for a municipal Floodplain ordinance to be compliant with FEMA guides if the municipality participates in the NFIP. If your municipality does not participate in the NFIP, FEMA does give a hoot about any anchors, elevations, or anything. I only tell you this because you seem intent upon complying with regulations (which I applaud). The only regulations that you must comply with are your municipal regulations (floodplain ordinance) if it exists. The only authority that can regulate your shed is the municipality (in Pennsylvania). If you are in New York or Maryland, disregard all I have said. Otherwise, good luck and I hope your island brings much pleasure in the days ahead!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page