seismic testing on our land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

seismic testing on our land

We recently received certified letters from company wanting to access our land to do seismic testing. After reading the letters we returned a phone call. Appearantly they want to access our land and cut a grid of trails in and set off charges. We expressed our oposition and was informed that the letters were a courtesy and legally we have no right to stop this being we don't own mineral rights. Which is true we do not own mineral rights. My question is do we have any rights to stop this? Technically they are doing all work on surface. We own 111 acres just outside of marienville. The other issue is timing they want to start this in September and we are concerned bout all this traffic disrupting our deer management program we have started. Any info would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Re: seismic testing on our land

seek legal advice from an atty.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM
The Man

Yep, they have the right to do it, I could be wrong but I think they have to compensate you for any surface dusturbance.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM
dce
Sage

You can't stop them from drilling but I believe you don't have to let them on to do seismic testing.I went through the same thing last year with my property and I never gave them the OK.Normally I would have but I didn't take kindly to their arrogant attitudes.

They ended up flagging part of my property and even drilled a couple holes.I removed the flagging and pulled the stakes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM

I had seismic testing done on my property last year (43 acres). In my case, it was non-invasive but it was during the summer. I would not have let them on during the fall.

The land man tracked me down because I avoided his calls and letters. He told me they would not have tested my ground without a signed contract. However, I own the mineral rights and I do not recall if that played a role.

The fee to allow them on is very small ($200) and they would not negotiate. However, I was successful in adding an addendum that held the testing company 100% liable for any damages to the property.

My experience was good and I have no complaints other then cleaning up some surveying ribbon.

If I did not own the mineral rights, I doubt I would have let them do the testing. I would recommend seeking the advice of an experience mineral rights attorney.

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:31 PM
dce
Sage

They offered me $5/acre for future damages.I just didn't like their tone or attitude.I have a bunch of high strung barrel horses and didn't want them flying over with a helicopter and having them go through a fence.I also didn't want any charges being set off as my well just collapsed a few months before.I just didn't trust any of them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:48 PM

dce, I would tell them NO and seek legal council. I think just having an attorney for them to speak to will back them off.

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Id send a letter saying they will be responsible for all damages and cleanup. Then take pics of any ruts, cut branches and any debris.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck_trt
dce, I would tell them NO and seek legal council. I think just having an attorney for them to speak to will back them off.
It's never a bad idea to seek legal coucil.I pm'd the OP the name of a good attorney in that area who specializes in these things.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would first find out who owns the mineral rights. then I would Find out if they have a Surface or Subsurface Lease.
If it Sub Only- you can tell them to Pound sand or get an Agreement with them. if its not a Sub-Surface Only, then you might want to sit down with them and tell them what you are asking for in respect to your Property. Meaning- don't cut any trees bigger then a Certain Size down No Mechanical Clearing Ect Ect. I had them approach me last winter, I do not have a Lease with anyone so I still own my Rights, they agreed not to Drive up my driveway, No machines on my property. they Signed and Agreed. Well then about 3 weeks later here is a White truck making Ruts in my driveway. I grabbed My agreement Headed to their office, took some pics of the Ruts, Asked for $500.00 to order a Load of 2a stone. He agreed and I had a Check the next week. Most of these companies are Pretty Decent, if you go to them with a handshake and a Nice attitude they will work with you. If you go in with Guns Blazing and your chest Puffed out, well then they might just not care so much if you cant keep them Off. PS: 2 years prior they did a seismic all around my property. I sat there the day I heard the Skid steer with the Brush Flayler on it heading toward My property Line. the Operator saw me, Stopped and Said what are you doing, I said protecting my property, he said OH, my GPS says I go straight, I said Your GPS will be Up Your %^& if you go another 20' I had just had Property surveyed and I knew exactly where my lines were. He politely went on a new angle and around My corner.. Got to watch em!!

Life is good when your Phone says No Signal!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page