Flood Insurance for cabins - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Flood Insurance for cabins

It has gotten outrageous...to the point where I am actually thinking of getting rid of it....it will be interesting to see how it really skyrockets in the next coupla years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Flood Insurance for cabins

I sell insurance,including flood insurance.It's turned into a nighmare the last couple of years.FEMA is constantly changing stuff and adding new flood zones.Depending on when that community entered into the nat'l flood insur program,rates will skyrocket unless you pay to get an elevation certificate.You can also get luck though,if your located in a relatively new flood zone,you may still be able to get a preferred policy extension which is better coverage and a fraction of the price.In many cases,flood insur isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I sell insurance,including flood insurance.It's turned into a nighmare the last couple of years.FEMA is constantly changing stuff and adding new flood zones.Depending on when that community entered into the nat'l flood insur program,rates will skyrocket unless you pay to get an elevation certificate.You can also get luck though,if your located in a relatively new flood zone,you may still be able to get a preferred policy extension which is better coverage and a fraction of the price.In many cases,flood insur isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Just what is the elevation certificate and what does that do for you about the rates?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

An elevation certificate can be used to show that you are out of the flood plain, I went round and round with mine and finally got it straight. If you want the name of a local surveyor I can give you the info of the guy that did mine. (assuming your cabin is in Bradford county)

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtn10pt
An elevation certificate can be used to show that you are out of the flood plain, I went round and round with mine and finally got it straight. If you want the name of a local surveyor I can give you the info of the guy that did mine. (assuming your cabin is in Bradford county)
No worries with the camp. It's the fema redrawing of the floodplain boundries in 1996 at home in Montgomery county. We had torrential downpours one day in 96 and somehow an abandoned car and somebodies lumber pile got swept down stream and blocked a 8'diameter culvert. Of course it backed up and flooded the low lying playground and ball parks behind my house as well as the entire block of houses. Water was up to my doorstep. Slab on grade, no basement,no water in my house but some neighbors did. Floodplain was drawn in the 50's when house was built and it was along the back fenceline, 10% of the property. Redrawn it moved to the middle of the street in front of the house. Township did all kinds of remediation work to widen the creek, added another culvert and more. fema has yet to reassess the floodplain boundries. I would argue that if it wasn't for the car and plywood blocking the culvert it would have never flooded. It was also a 100year flood plain. Flood insurance went from several hundred a year to close to $2000.
Trying to get fema to talk to you is a bureaucratic nightmare according to the next door neighbor. The township has had an application of some sort to redefine the boundries but it's been several yaers and nobody knows how long this will take.
I appreciate the info but we have maps drawn that show the new floodplain and im in it 100%

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Just what is the elevation certificate and what does that do for you about the rates?
The elevation certificate shows the baseline elevation at all corners of the building.It depends on when the community entered into the NFIP.In some cases,you're now required to actually get one and the cost is usually between $400-$800.The rate is adjusted based on your elevation compared to the flood zone.In some cases,it can get you out of the flood plain but it usually doesn't.For me to even quote a flood policy in certain areas,I need an elevation certificate.Without one,it just gives you a tentative rate that's insane.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:04 PM
dce
Sage

basically what happened is that FEMA IS broke.The more flood zones they have,the more people that are forced to buy it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a house 5 or so years ago and the house was not in the flood zone. Refinanced my house to purchase some property and bank told me of the change and required that I bought coverage. Thankfully the amount of coverage I had to obtain was very low since they required only the amount my loan value. I pay right around 200 a year. But looking at the coverage and stuff...I dont understand what Im paying for
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
The elevation certificate shows the baseline elevation at all corners of the building.It depends on when the community entered into the NFIP.In some cases,you're now required to actually get one and the cost is usually between $400-$800.The rate is adjusted based on your elevation compared to the flood zone.In some cases,it can get you out of the flood plain but it usually doesn't.For me to even quote a flood policy in certain areas,I need an elevation certificate.Without one,it just gives you a tentative rate that's insane.
The house was paid off 10 years ago, dropped the insurance then. The house is up for sale and the sticking point for some buyers is not the fact it's in a flood plain but that they have to get insurance to get a mortgage. Been trying to finds a way to make the sale more enticing to buyers. Have offered to pay several years worth of insurance with a full price offer and dropped the asking price a bit. Fema got to stop dragging their feet on the rezoneing application and that may help .

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM
dce
Sage

That would be a big sticking point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page