Fire wood - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fire wood

My family does a yearly camping trip in Allegany State Park. During these trips, my father always took pride in securing firewood for the group. He'd go out searching the woods for downed logs and limbs. He'd do this 3-4 times during the 2 week period.

Last week, he was told that his heart conditions that he's had most of the past 2 decades have become worse. He is out of work until further notice, but at least until May 5.

I cannot allow him to go looking for wood anymore. He needs to rest. His heart is working at approximately 15% efficiency. The strongest man I have ever known is now forced to rest a LOT more than ever before, and he has a difficult time keeping up with the pace he used to be at.
I need to make it so it isn't necessary for him to do so.

I'm looking for any and all information folks could give me about getting maybe a cord of wood. I've never purchased firewood, so I have no connections, nor do I know what a decent price is.

Anyone know of anyone in the Bradford PA area that might be able to sell me a cord of firewood the last week of June? I don't know what a decent price is, but I'll pay whatever that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:13 AM

Re: Fire wood

A cord may be more than you would need for a couple week of camping since a cord is approximately a 4X4X8 stack of wood.
Many people that sold wood around me were having trouble supplying regular customers with seasoned wood towards the late part of the season due to the extreme cold weather. In January I heard it was going for over 210.00$ and the quality wasn't that great.

Try looking in the phonebook or Craig's List to see if anyone is selling and delivering firewood.
In September when I had my wood delivered it cost [email protected] cord dumped. That was for seasoned hardwoods.
Good luck with getting firewood and hope your Dads health issues improve.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

better check on transporting fire wood from one area to another, you may have to buy it near the park.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I checked. Can transport from 50 miles in. I called the park this morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page