mason work - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

mason work

Hi guys have a cabin around Buell Corners...Spartansburg.....Titusville area. I am looking to get a quote on building a block / brick fireplace. Does anyone have anyone they know or recommend in that area to contact for a quote. Also any ideas on what it may cost. Thanks for the info ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 PM

Re: mason work

Just had a blocklayer from Tionesta do some work but he was a big mistake. I wouldn't recommend this guy to anyone. He apparently used to be good but not any more. I won't put the name up publicly but PM me for a name if you wind up talking to a one man masonry contractor with a Tionesta address.

I have been told that Kline Brothers from Tionesta are excellent by several folks after I used the other guy.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

I am a Bricklayer. Done it all my life, started with my dad at 14, i'm now 50. I've built many , Many fireplaces.

Take a bit of advice. Not all Bricklayers, know how to build a fireplace properly. Building Fireplaces is somewhat of a dying skill. Housing goes through trends, and while fireplaces in homes used to be fairly common, it no longer is. Many of the fireplaces built in homes today, are in fact gas fireplaces, which is not the same.

Do your homework before you hire, or you may be dissatisfied on down the road. Your best bet is a older mason with years of experience....most younger guys, or Union or commercial masons that do nothing but lay to the line, simply haven't had the chance to build very many fireplaces. The whole firebox opening, the way you roll the back of your firebox, the height between the angle supporting the face, and your damper, the way you build the smoke shelf, the smoke chamber, flue size...ect...ect. Needs to be done right or it will not draft properly and will smoke. Leaving you with a nice looking expensive fireplace that doesn't work very well.

sorry to stir doubt....but far to many masons will claim they have experience, when in fact, they have very little. Then later on a experienced mason has to come in and fix their screw up's to make it work right. Which is a Total! pain in the butt.

I actually just gave a guy a price to do that very thing.

Do yourself a big favor, and find out how many fireplaces they have actually built. If he says oh a couple....keep looking. If he laughs and says...holy cow, i wouldn't begin to remember them all....he's probably your man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM
The Man

call Bruce Jaquith in Corry and see who he recommends...

814-664-8275

Bruce is a top-notch general contractor and has done work for me...he is as honest as the day is long and will not steer you wrong...

You will not get a first-class job cheap and you may be too late for this year....just sayin'...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Look up Marvin Zook Masonry in Townville. Excellent work!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade mt
I am a Bricklayer. Done it all my life, started with my dad at 14, i'm now 50. I've built many , Many fireplaces.

Take a bit of advice. Not all Bricklayers, know how to build a fireplace properly. Building Fireplaces is somewhat of a dying skill. Housing goes through trends, and while fireplaces in homes used to be fairly common, it no longer is. Many of the fireplaces built in homes today, are in fact gas fireplaces, which is not the same.

Do your homework before you hire, or you may be dissatisfied on down the road.
I agree with this everything shade mt said. I've been a mason (stone, brick, block) for thirty-plus years. Up until the late eighties, almost all the new homes we built had a fireplace in them. We built many fireplaces back then, in the homes we built as well as for other builders. Now, not so much, more masonry pads and alcoves for free-standing wood stoves than fire places. I still do a good number of masonry chimneys each year.

Fireplace building is a dying skill. And it is something that requires experience to do correctly. Like shade said, do your homework, not every mason, in fact very few masons, will be skilled, experienced fireplace builders.

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page