Ice damming and metal roofs? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ice damming and metal roofs?

Do those of you with metal roofs have a lot of problems with ice damming? Also, any recommendations on what type of metal roof to get?

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ice damming and metal roofs?

I have a metal roof and never had any problems with ice at all. Mine is a dark green and as soon as a little sun comes out, it melts fast. Not sure of the type. Was on the house when I bought it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:28 PM
The Man

I've had a metal roof on my place since 2006...and, yes, the ice hangs up on the gutters....so you ned to be darn sure your gutters are well secured or you're going to lose them...
I have mixed feelings about metal roofs...no doubt they disperse snow quickly, especially if exposed to sun BUT you need to have enough pitch for the snow to slide off and even then your gutters will take a pounding...I am not putting heat tape in my gutters either...
There's some Amish around Clymer, NY, who have quite an operation and do a great job at a fair price. PM for more info if interested....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 PM
dce
Sage

Ice dams are caused by not enough insulation or improper ventilation in the majority of cases.I wouldn't even consider a metal roof on my house unless it was a standing seam.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM

I use a lot of standing seam metal roofing as accents and on shallower pitch roofs. I have not had any call backs regarding ice dams. You should install finials at the lower edge of the roof (staggered) to keep the snow from tearing down the roof at one time and destroying the gutters (or landing on your head). You still will want to use ice guard and drip edge at the bottom of the roof.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a rubber roof on the back roof with no attic under it. Have ice guards near edge with a 12 inch eave and ice buildup on roof tore 4 of them loose. They were only adhere to the rubber with some type of rubber adhesive with no damage to the rubber roof. Sliding snow and ice make quite a noise when it slides off and hits deck floor.

AMERICA - built with pride by americans for americans.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:46 AM
Regular Visitor

Snow guards, snow guards, snow guards, two rows staggered, properly installed will stop most ice damming unless you have a nearly flat roof
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:12 PM

Yep, as a few have said here, steel roof pretty much eliminates the ice dam issues but if you have gutters, you need to put snow jax or some other product on to keep the snow and ice from exiting all at once and taking your gutters with it. I wound up using a product called Snojax at www.snowjax.com Put em on 5 years ago after almost losing my gutters.

As for where to buy the roof, I got my first one at Home Depot. 40 year guarantee and competitively priced. I just put steel on the addition to my new camp last fall. The Amish family that built the addition had a supplier between Fryburg and Venus but the name escapes me. I would be happy to dig up my receipt when I get home. Price was great for excellent material and a 40 year guarantee. Say the word and I'll dig up that receipt when I get home and PM you the contact info.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 AM

We have no problem at all with ours but it is at a 12 x 12 pitch and no gutters. The roof came a place in mt. Jewitt called mountain top machine nice people 40 year guarantee. They deliver also.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page