RV Anti freeze for drains? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
The Man

RV Anti freeze for drains?

Anyone ever use this stuff? I bought a jug of it this year and poured in my sink traps along with commode. I still left my electric heat on low all winter until 3 weeks ago. I just popped In for awhile and thought with my electric bill being 125.00 I would turn heat off and just dump some more of this stuff in commode bowl and tank. I went over last sat. and found my commode and tank frozen, I know a few days earlier it was single digits but this stuff don't work. Next time I wont be cheap and buy actual anti freeze. Lesson learned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: RV Anti freeze for drains?

I used it for a lot of years in my current house living alone, traveling a lot, no heat on at all when I was gone. Also used it for several years in a 2nd uninhabited house I used only for storage. The more diluted the less the protection. In other words you don't take a full toilet tank and pour some in. In a toilet you shut off the supply, flush it to drain the tank, plunge the bowl, then I put a cup in tank and bowl. One cup down each drain/trap. Shut off the well pump and drain all the fresh water supply lines.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use -30 auto washer fluid in the traps, but we empty the toilet bowl and tank. We dry the tank and pour about a quart in the bowl. Never had a problem. We have had below Zero temps off and on since late November. Never any heat on. I was up last month and it was -9 inside!

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.

We use it at our camp. Like griz said, it's design to be used at full strength. We turn the power of when nobody there so there's no heat. I've found it slushy a time or two and frozen once, but that was when the person up before me had not plunged the water out of the bowl. We use it because it's suppose to be better for the septic system the automotive anti-freeze.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 AM
The Man

Not sure whats cheaper but we use full strength automotive anti freeze at our Camp in toilets, tanks and drains.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Auto antifreeze is bad for environment and septic /sewer systems Highly poisonous. RV antifreeze full strength is what you need and get all water out of the bowls, tanks and traps first. Safe alternative and it works

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Had my camp for 37 years. Used nothing but windshield wiper antifreeze. After your water is off flush the toilet to get most of the water out then pour in the antifreeze.Never a problem maybe some slush but that goes away fast. Its cheaper and you can get it anyplace.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Sage

Been using RV antifreeze ever since we had indoor plumbing at camp, so that'd be since 1984. No problems yet and it often goes to minus 20 or more at camp. I use one gallon per treatment when I winterize camp.

Pour some in both sink traps and shower drain trap. When toilet is all but empty, run some into toilet trap via holding open the flush flapper and letting it run thru the trap into the bowl. Then fill the bowl to the normal water level and mix. Also let a few inches in the toilet tank.

If the traps/toilet are empty, you'll get some residual "sewer gas" in the building from the septic tank. Most automotive anti-freeze may be harmful to the bacteria in the septic tank and may also stain the toilet bowl. RV does neither.

No problems with anything freezing/breaking in all that time, although sometimes there is a bit of slush in the toilet bowl. Slush does not break china, solid expanding ice does.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage

I used to use only part of the gallon bottle but the toilet cracked one year, so now, I dump the entire gallon in. As said before, don't dilute it. Pour that whole thing in there. I don't leave any heat on at my place and below zero temps are the norm there in winter.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I drain the water lines and use RV antifreeze in the traps and toilet at camp, been doing it about ten years works well.

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page