Indiana County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Indiana County

Does anyone have a camp or hunt in Indiana County? I see all these other counties on the forum, how about we get some Indiana talk going! I have a camp and hunt on Pennview Mountain on game lands 276.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Indiana County

I have a camp in Indiana County. Its on the Indiana, Cambria line.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 AM
RB
Sage

My folks live in NW Indiana County on the banks of the Little Mo...great place!!! I think Indiana County has the most diverse habitat in the State. Reclaimed strip mines turning into big woods valleys, farms, all those stands of pines, the terrain funnels of the highwalls and strip piles, every game animal PA has. Not to mention some nice trout streams. It is a fantastic place to have a camp.

I love it there!! My kids racked up alot more memories there than if my folks still lived in the Burgh. Looking forward to some trout and turkey trips real soon.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 AM
M70
Regular Visitor

I agree, Indiana County has great things to offer. Good hunting with lots of quality game lands. Deer population is good in my area. It's within the magic 2 hr travel time from the Pittsburgh area. I too am above the Little Mahoning near Hemlock Lake. Make my home here and our family camp 200 yards away!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yes, Indiana does have some good fishing also. I really like Yellow Creek with all the nice holes and its fast moving water.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Sage

I've hunted in state game lands near the Cambria county line in Buffington township my whole life, even before it was a game lands. These days, some mines have taken over a good bit of the land, but there is still some good hunting in the area.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 PM

I live in Indiana county between Indiana and Saltsburg. see deer in the field above the house, turkey too. Black legs creek below the house for trout. even a bear once in a while.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Part of the Community

I've lived in Indiana Co. all my life and love the hunting and fishing. I've killed deer, bear, turkey and caught trout within a 15 minute ride from home. No complaints here!!

Guns don't kill people, people kill people
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It is funny that you always think that the grass is greener elsewhere. I have resided in Indiana County all my 29 years. I am fortunate enough to have been born into a family that valued where we live and and land on which we were raised. My grandfather bought farm long before my dad was even around, and I plan on passing down my share to my children someday. I have taken squirrel, rabbit, coon, dove, turkey, and deer on our land, and may in my lifetime get a bear. As cg said, trout streams are a few miles away. Indiana County is a treasure. Thank you all for reminding me how lucky I am!

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was lucky enough to grow up on the Indiana/Cambria county border. As MaddiesDad said, we have land that has been passed down from generation to generation. It will always be in my family. Its just to bad that I now live 3 hours east of it. I have a camp there now though. I will be heading back to camp for the first day of trout this year. I heard that there are some nice bigger creeks around Indiana that are stocked. Can anyone help me out with this? I have always fish the really little creeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page