Property Taxes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Property Taxes

Was a little surprised at the structure valuation. We bought our property in Northern Clinton County last spring. It had a useable mobile home on the property (12x50),bldg was tax valued at $2100. We removed the mobile and bought a "shabin" type structure(12x32) sitting on a stone pad. Cost of the structure approx. $8700. We recieved the revised statement and land is the same but the structure valuation jumped to $10700. We were surprised since the mobile was useable and larger. Do you other "shabin" type owners have similar tax valuations on the bldg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage

Re: Property Taxes

Don't recall the exact figures now, but when we put a 12x20 building on our Tioga Co. property in 1980, it quadrupled the RE taxes.

All that was there before, was a driveway and flat area where we parked an RV trailer much of the year. Had elec. service w/mobile home "fuse box" hookup, a septic system and well. Never any RE tax reflection for the RV because it wasn't there year 'round.

Since we doubled the size of the original cabin with an addition in the mid 80s, the RE taxes now amount to around $1600 per year for the shanty and 28 acres.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

This is done on a formula, not on actual sale value or cost paid. I'm in the process of getting ready to build a home, and am getting a rather brutal course in such things.

Anyway, you can appeal this, although at the price/valuation levels you're talking, I'm not sure how much change you'll see. Apparently, with new construction, they will, on successful appeal, provide adjusted assessments that are in line with assessments prior to the last county reassessment that was performed. Rough figures bring the adjustment out to about 80% of initial valuation, but that's very generic and "rough". Results may vary, yada yada. And, this is all based on what I've learned in Berks County. Not sure how similar or different other counties are to Berks.

Not sure how that applies, if at all, to your situation, but you might look into the process for a tax appeal. I highly doubt any taxing authority would appeal/oppose the appeal, as the amount of revenue change, to them, is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hope my taxes don't go up that much just put a shed on my property! Could it the difference between a temporary and permanent residence?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife's family owns river front lot in Lock Haven. They cannot build on it because it is deemed flowage easement by the US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS. The township has classified all these lots as residential, and there is nothing that can be done. The taxes are terrible on it. Sounds like the rest of Clinton county is following suit.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Head north into NY...property taxes are unreal in Tioga County!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Sage

Huh? Median RE taxes in the southern tier of NY are generally higher than the average for Tioga Co. Pa. Most of my NY kin grumble about their RE taxes far more than those on the PA side of the border.

Steuben Co. median: $2300
Tioga Co. Pa median: $1400

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

There's actually talk in that area of NY state of wanting to secede to PA. Good luck to them, and with Wolf in place, not sure they really want that anyway...although I guess Cuomo is worse.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Just be glad your shabin is in pa and not nj/ny! This is a product of the state using 70% of the budget in harrisburg/philly and leaving the rest to fend on its own. Than you get city slickers in rural areas that have done without and they want changes, well that costs$$$ can run on empty...

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Supporting DennyF on this one. Definitely want to be south of the border in regards to RE taxes.

I miss my hunting partner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page