Shipping Container Camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Shipping Container Camp?

My sister inlaw is from Florida and is about as far Left wing as they come. I put up a picture on my facebook page the other day of a small cabin with the caption "some day.." She commented that she is reading up on a movement called downsizeing. At first I thought she was just being her typical goofy left wing self but she sent me a few shots of how people are crating homes from left over shipping containers.

This is not like a pallet, I am talking about the shipping containers you would find on large ships to go over seas. I have been doing research and some of the ideas people have are astonishing to be quite honest.

They are typically 8' wide by 20 or 40' long by 8.5' High. I am seriously thinking about his for a camp idea. I looked on ebay and they can be had around 1500 bucks. They are engineered to withstand thousands of pounds stacked on top of each other. Some people are staking them in a cube 2 wide by 2 high and cutting out the floors and such for multiple stories.

I think this could be a way to creat a budget camp to get started at 2,000 dollars. I am a big fan of the ones that remove the rear doors and install large glass windows much like you would see on an A frame house.

Just google "shipping container homes" and look at the images. They are quite cool.

Just a thought.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:10 PM

Re: Shipping Container Camp?

Yea I have seen them before and some of them are pretty neat and wouldn't really know it was a shipping container. There was a show on last year called building wild, the 2 host built remote cabins for people, one of them featured a shipping container I believe.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Sage

I really liked that show, but they took it off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Sage

A few years ago, there was a company out of Georgia selling complete cabins from these containers. Completely decked out complete with a drive in ATV garage in the back. Flat screen TV, full kitchen, shower, and bunks. used a lot of laminate's and the smaller RV parts, but it was nice and fully functional.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 AM
Regular Visitor

Check out this link.

http://www.tincancabin.com

Here's an other one.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/off-grid-se...ntainer-cabin/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:00 AM

how many do u want ??

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Bum
Regular Visitor

To turn one of those into a camp you're going to need a lot more than the everyday carpenter tools that we all have. Think about ventilation, insulation, electric hookups, foundation to set it on , getting it on the foundation, flooring over the steel, entrance doors, etc. That is a big job and I don't think $2,000 is going to get you what you want out of it. If I were to do a budget camp it would be a used travel trailer or mobile home. you can still use it while you are fixing it up and the travel trailers are already furnished and have everything you need except a permit to have one on your lot.

Bum
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 PM

We buy them to place on job-sites to keep material from walking and they are not as cheap as they were a few years ago. When we first started buying them they were 12 to 15 hundred dollars, last round we were paying 32 to 38 hundred.
We could get ones that had door at both ends you could drive a bobcat into to get material and everything stayed dry and never saw any signs of leaks or mold.
They were priced by how beat they were. We purchased ours from Williams Scotsman and they were just used one time. Some we have had now for almost 10 years.
You can get them moved by any towing service that has a roll off

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Sage

Try one of the construction office type trailer's.I think that would be a better, cheaper idea, already has doors and windows, a few sitting around could possibly be purchased when jobs are finished......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 AM

I think I remember a tv series or something of the like, tiny houses, tiny living or something like that, on netflix? It followed a kid building a tiny house on wheels.
Interesting show.

I've toyed with this idea myself, but ultimately purchased a RV.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page