Camp value.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Camp value....

I have a friend who is considering selling his cabin, and I'm trying to help him determine it's value, a reasonable asking price. I'll share the specifics as I know them, and look for any input from those who may have been looking recently, and based on what they've been seeing, give an estimate of it's value.
It's in Dauphin county,1/2 hour from Harrisburg. Just over 3 acres, the rear of the property touches State Game Lands 211, I believe. Last parcel at the end of a lane. Semi steep terrain. No utilities although electric is about 300 ft away. The structure, built in early 80's, is an A-frame, 1.5 stories, with an addition to that. Total square footage of living space, over 1600 square feet. Spring on the property,(75 ft away), although it has no running water into the cabin. Outdoor privy. Flat area where the structure sits, maybe 2/3 acre, remainder wooded, and steep, but not a cliff.
Ideas, thoughts? Guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Camp value....

Real tough to tell without photos but I'll be watching this thread carefully as we're thinking about selling our place up north and it's also a chalet type without running water or electricity.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 PM

8-12,000??? Just a ballpark guess without ever seeing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer
8-12,000??? Just a ballpark guess without ever seeing it.
If that's the case, maybe we'll have to reconsider selling??

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Sage

Your friend should contact a real estate agent and have a market analysis done on the property. They may do for free but even if there's a charge, it's worth it.

A 1600 sq. ft. cabin is not cheap to build. At $50.00 a square foot it comes out to $80,000. That doesn't include the land.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bob
I understand your thoughts and concerns. I'm going to repeat some,thing you've heard time and time again. LOCATON,LOCATION,LOCATION.
Do a search of properties for ale in the neighborhood. Use Zillow to start and check out local realestaters. Being in Dauphin county may prove to be high in value. Is this outside of Millersburg?
What did your buddy think it's worth? Are you looking to buy it? If you aren't, why isn't he calling a real estate office? Some places in the state may get 10K for this; another place you may get 50K or more.
Photos will help but doing a search of any adjacent properties that sold (or selling) in the last year is better. As a side note, I would like to see pics myself.

Big D
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM
The Man

What crushes the price is lack of utilities. Even a nice camp will be drawn down in value when it doesn't have indoor plumbing or electric.

My guess would be around $20,000 - $25,000 because it borders gamelands and it sounds like a newer camp.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 PM

tell him to check with his local courthouse "Assessment Office" they can give him an "assessed" value of the property to give him a ballpark but a real estate agent would be closer to the amount.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Part of the Community

A Uncle of mine sold a 24 x 48 camp on 106 acres in Jefferson County with timber, gas, coal on the property for $65,000 / 15 years ago, and was lucky to get it - because the camp was not finished and the only amenity was running water.
Being 7/10ths of a mile off the main road is a hard sell when you have to maintain the road yourself.

Your cabin sounds primitive at best.
You loose 1/3 of the living space when you build an A frame and the insulation value of the roof is very low - hence it is expensive to heat and cool. The land does not sound to be of any value - hence was probably the reason why they got it so cheap and the reason why they built there.

The cost to build 20 yrs ago vs today is almost 400% higher.
So what one person thinks would cost $60,000 to build in todays money would only cost $15,000.00 in 2006 dollars!

If you get $20,000 = the real estate agent is going to take their 20% off the top, you would be better off to sell it yourself for what ever you can get over $15,000.00

No Utilities = not too many women that will want to go to camp, especially in the winter, and have to use a outdoor privy and have no running water..

Would make a good place for a Gentleman's camp, but not good if you wanted to take the whole family in todays society.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Sage

The amount a real estate agent charges to sell your property is negotiable. It is not necessarily 20 percent. It could be 6 percent.

Quote:
No Utilities = not too many women that will want to go to camp, especially in the winter, and have to use a outdoor privy and have no running water..
This is not a bad thing.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page