For yinz camp owners. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

For yinz camp owners.

When you keep your camp "open" through the fall/winter months, do you have to winterize each time you leave, then turn it all back on during your winter stays, only to winterize again upon returning home ? I would think you have to, or else run the risk of burst pipes ? Is that a large pain, and does it influence the fact that you do not do winter trips ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: For yinz camp owners.

Takes 5-10 min. to turn on or off water at camp. Need to install all lines with slope and drains when installing. Use R.V. winterize in traps non toxic.

camp in A.N.F.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The shut down procedure I use (drain and blow out all water lines) takes about thirty minutes. If I know somebody will be at camp in the next week or so I'll not do a full shut down and just leave the heat on at about 50 degrees.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If I know somebody will be at camp in the next week or so I'll not do a full shut down and just leave the heat on at about 50 degrees.
I'm guessing your pipes are not "the norm" when it comes to where and how camp supply lines are situated. 50 degrees INSIDE the camp, doesn't equate to the same underneath the camp. LOL. I would think many more than not, are susceptible to the outdoor frigid temps ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 PM

My pipes run thru crawlspace underneath camp. I have been there when the temp outside was 8* and inside was 70* and had the pipes freeze under camp temporarily. This was thru the night, and if I would have let water drip it wouldn't have been an issue. Small space heater under bathroom area had water running again in less than an hour.

I can have my lines drained off when winterizing in about 20 minutes. Longest part is waiting for the hot water tank and Culligan system tank to drain. It's not really a big deal...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Quote:
If I know somebody will be at camp in the next week or so I'll not do a full shut down and just leave the heat on at about 50 degrees.
I'm guessing your pipes are not "the norm" when it comes to where and how camp supply lines are situated. 50 degrees INSIDE the camp, doesn't equate to the same underneath the camp. LOL. I would think many more than not, are susceptible to the outdoor frigid temps ?
My camp is a mobile home with the water supply lines running through the insulated floor joists and walls. I ran the heat at 45-50 degrees over winter for many years until increasing fuel oil prices made it cost prohibitive to do so. Rarely had an issue with frozen pipes and when I did it was always at the same few locations and was quickly dealt with using a hair dryer. Never had a burst pipe.

The supply line from the well where it ran through the crawlspace was protected with heat tape.

Eh...wot?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I lived in a single-wide mobile home when I was a bach. I know all too well the heat-tape tango. Pretty much the only thing that prevented freeze up during the brutal winters back then. In retrospect, I should have been more elaborate in my insulating practices.... young/dumb/carefree.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Sage

My place isn't completed enough to spend much time there in winter. At the end of fall, I blow out the lines and drain the HW tank and toilet tank. If I go up during winter, it's only for a day and I run the toilet with water collected at a spring. I don't turn on the main water again until spring.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:07 PM

My place is so simple. I have a rancher with a full basement. I turn everything off except the refrigerator. I then open the water lines where a washer would be in the basement and let the system drain. I then walk upstairs and open the sinks and flush the toilet. I then pour RV antifreeze down all the drains and toilet. I do not drain the electric hot water tank since its underground. I have been doing this for the last 7 years without any problem except one time, forgot to let the showerhead hang down.

Life Member NRA
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I run my heat at 52 and never drain but iam up every 3 weeks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page