Ackley's reminder - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Ackley's reminder

Just another reminder to those heading for NW Tioga and NE Potter camps, that Ackley's in Westfield no longer sells firearms, ammo, any sort of hunting gear, or clothes of any kind. Unless you're heading there for a case or two of beer from outback, propane, Citgo gas, or some hardware, don't bother.

Once a hotspot on the weekend before deer seasons, it is now only a hardware store. Don't think they even sell hunting licenses anymore?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Sage

Re: Ackley's reminder

Field & Stream just opened last month in Big Flats NY by the Arnot Mall vicinity.

Coopers Sporting Goods in Mansfield. Niles Guns & Gold Rte 6, East of Wellsboro

\and a new one in Mansfield GNR Sporting Goods bus. 15 near Walmart

But it's a real shame what happened at Ackleys

wmu 3A
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Wow I'm suprised I haven't been there in a few years but remember them having a decent selection of hunting gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Sage

There is also a "new" place now farther east on Rt. 49 from Westfield, in Elkland. Where the Western Auto usta was, or whatever the heck was in that building?

Been in there a coupla times. Ain't what Ackley's once was, but a half decent firearms/archery store. Other than the selection of stuff, what I liked most about Ackley's was being able to handle hundreds of rifles/shotguns out on the floor, including usually good numbers of used firearms at decent prices.

Same outfit had taken over Johnson's in Knoxville, moved down the road to Elkland earlier this year. Can't recollect how they spell it, Beikerich or some such? Also have a place up near Rochester, NY so am told.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Just another reminder to those heading for NW Tioga and NE Potter camps, that Ackley's in Westfield no longer sells firearms, ammo, any sort of hunting gear, or clothes of any kind. Unless you're heading there for a case or two of beer from outback, propane, Citgo gas, or some hardware, don't bother.

Once a hotspot on the weekend before deer seasons, it is now only a hardware store. Don't think they even sell hunting licenses anymore?
Wow, hard to believe.
Haven't been there in years but in it's heyday
it was a good place for gear.
Wonder if Potter Co. Outfitters hurt there sales?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My son, grandson, and I stopped in last muzzleloader season, and were disappointed to see shelves down to bare bones for the most part. Some years ago, I picked up a $10. canvas possibles bag there, not "historically correct" but cheap, light weight, and semi-waterproof. I should have purchased a couple more because I've never bumped into them anywhere since. Too bad, good business, and good people.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter
My son, grandson, and I stopped in last muzzleloader season, and were disappointed to see shelves down to bare bones for the most part. Some years ago, I picked up a $10. canvas possibles bag there, not "historically correct" but cheap, light weight, and semi-waterproof. I should have purchased a couple more because I've never bumped into them anywhere since. Too bad, good business, and good people.
The original Ackley's...agreed! When it changed hands, the attitude toward customers changed. As Denny said, if in the valley, the new store in Elkland is where to go. Yes, not as much as the old Ackley's, but they have enough, and they have the correct attitude toward anyone coming in. Prices seem to be as reasonable as can be expected in todays world too.

It looked to me that they have the room to stock more, but maybe waiting to see what sells and then stocking heavier??? Will wait and see.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

For those headed to Gaines Galeton area Ciminos hardware in Galeton for hunting licenses .......Ziggys in Gaines for guns and ammo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirl
For those headed to Gaines Galeton area Ciminos hardware in Galeton for hunting licenses .......Ziggys in Gaines for guns and ammo
Also, John's in Germania has a few guns and ammo. I was in there on Sunday and it seems the ammo inventory is light.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Been past John's a few times, a buddy from home has a camp just up the hill from there.

I'd go back in there and check the place out, but them piney woods look scary?

One of my cousins up there said there's also a small gun shop near the Golf course (River Valley Club) on Rt. 249.

Probably check it out this weekend? Owe some other kin down in Little Marsh, a visit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page