Plant it and they will come - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Plant it and they will come

Several years ago, the wife and I decided we were ready for our little piece of heaven in the woods. I typically hunt deer on State ground outside of Port Matilda but we ended up with a place up with a place in Clinton County. The wife gets upset that I still want to go over to Port Matilda for the first week of Buck season. I explain that I know the deer are there, the paths they travel, and it just feels right watching the sun rise that first crisp morning. I have hunted archery and muzzleloader at the new place but the deer are few and far between. I did kill a doe last year in muzzleloader but have yet to see a buck on that mountain. I have 3 cameras out nearly all year and not one single picture of a buck.

The conversation now has changed to the possibility of selling the Clinton county place and building over in Centre near Port Matilda. My question is, would it be worth sticking it out for a few more years and planting some food plots to try to bring some deer in or is that simply delaying the inevitable? I have 18 acres and we border Sproul.

I appreciate the thought and opinions.

Thanks

One Shot...One Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Plant it and they will come

Plant the food plot... It will help you 2 fold. When you sell and the deer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Plant it. Hunt remote section of potter, threw a small bag of throw and grow out, the stuff took, put out a camera, and have several shooters coming in. I never thought that many big bucks in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Sage

Planting 2 or 3 small food plots would be a lot cheaper than uprooting and buying a new site...Try some aforementioned throw and grow, try some clover and try some turnips. My turnips have good luck in Lycoming with a clover-turnip-rye mix. If they find food they'll stick around..Buy a bushel of rye seed and sow it, might not be too late ..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rye germinates down to 36 degrees F....once established, it grows when it's north of 34F. Granted, it won't get a foot tall, but it will provide lush green, fairly high protein forage for the deer.

A nice food plot amongst a mostly wooded area would be a pretty good draw I would think. A buddy of mine did an oats and clover plot this fall, no ag within a mile or so...the deer keep it mowed down to a low green carpet. He didn't want to mess with the rye in the spring...so once his oats get zapped with the frost, the clover will be on its own against the hungry mouths....and I don't think it's going to be able to keep up on its own.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Please let me add a disclaimer to my last post...you will likely need to have some decent thick cover (brush from the ground to 6' high) nearby if you want to see deer use the plot during daylight hours. If the cover is too far away from the plot, they likely will only use it through the night, and you won't see much daylight use (maybe some fawns).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a pic that my buddy sent me today of his oat and red clover plot...he was hunting nearby this morning. It's always an excellent idea to put up and exclusion cage to monitor the usage of the plot.

Ha - I think the deer are using it just a touch. It's about a half acre in size.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Sage

Valid point on the cage..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 PM

I've seen deer knock those cages flat with their feet. And eat everything inside....

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBruin
I've seen deer knock those cages flat with their feet. And eat everything inside....
Daggum. Those are some hungry deer!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page