Camp financial burden? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Camp financial burden?

I see a great deal of posts about how much people love having a camp to go to but I never see posts about it being a financial burden or too expensive for the amount of time they are actually there.

It seems to me the expense of travel, upkeep, and time is huge. Does anyone feel it's getting to be too much to keep it going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Camp financial burden?

We are lucky at our newly founded camp (bought the property in November of 2012 and dropped the "shabin" in place in September of 2013). Two of the three guys are about 55 minutes travel time, and the third is 35-40 minutes....so we get to utilize our camp quite a bit. A lot of guys on here travel 2, 3, 4 hours or more to their slice of heaven.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you are looking at it purely from a financial position, it does not make sense to buy a cabin. The same could be said for owning a boat or an airplane or something else that is an expensive hobby. But I think the true value comes in the memories that are made there. It takes time to drive to the cabin and there is work throughout the year to keep up with the maintenance. But when I am there with my family, I can honestly say it is therapeutic. I disconnect from the world and truly relax. I would not have bought my cabin if I could not afford it. If you're going to go in deep debt to buy one or if you have other pressing financial needs, it is not worth it. But if you do have the means to buy one it is a good investment from a quality time standpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mossie, it might be that the guys on here are still actively using their camps. The camps that have not had a visitor in months/years more likely would fall into the financial/time burden.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess if it's a financial burden, should you own it? Our camp is supported financially within our family. We don't have club rules, dues, etc. I expect visitors to donate either money or time. And I will never ask. I will say the up keep is a little harder today, than 25yrs ago when we purchased it. Camp is in Sproul, and we live in SEPA. So its about a four hour drive. Friends and family have moved on, so a lot less helping hands these days. And outside maintenance is always planning around the weather.
With that, I will never trade it, or give it up. It's my mental and physical respite. Hunting, fishing, hiking, or just having a beer next to the fire. It's all good.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:02 PM
The Man

What isn't a finacial burden in todays world.
I guess it depends on how much ya like it.
Our camp is 5 hours away and the fuel cost to run up and back plus driving around up there along with tolls can be pricy.
I just love Potter Co.
I don't hang in bars or gamble so I find a way to make ends meet.
Granted I don't make the amount of trips up to camp like I use to due to the financial demands to go there.
I rember years where my son and I would make the trip 5 wekends out of 6 during Archery.
Now that would be a financial burden.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Part of buying is deciding if you can really afford it. If you only look at the money situation, it's cheaper to rent than it is to buy. Even cheaper yet if you stay at home and never leave the house. But part of the renting is finding a location that is available for you to rent when you want to rent it.
We decided long ago before we bought ours is what were we going to do with it, how many times were we going to use it and who will use it. And what were we going to do with it after we can no longer use it. We thought of the taxes we were going to pay, the cost of maintenance, and who was going to do the work. We looked at the amount of money we will spend on the project and then decide if we wanted to use that amount towards a cabin or do we spend it on other vacations like Disney, or theme parks or just traveling the country.
We sat down and made decisions.
Sure it's not cheap, sure the taxes are high, sure the gas to travel is a killer. But it is what we decided to do. We don't like sand in my swimming trunks, don't like crowds at Disney, don't like crowds at all to tell you the truth. What me and my wife decided we wanted was a cabin away from it all. A place that we can go to any time we wanted and didn't ask permission to go or schedule an open time frame. It's ours. No matter where we were going to go to, it's gonna cost money.
What is the price you will pay for your happiness? I get out of the truck at the cabin, stand on the back porch and I listen for a while and do you know what I hear????
NOTHING!!!!
I'll pay for that.

Big D
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM

I can't put a price on the serenity and mental well being my camp brings me.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I can't put a price on the serenity and mental well being my camp brings me.

That is the God honest truth, my friends (city slickers) don't understand why I like going up to camp so much. I always tell them how relaxing and enjoyable it is when I'm up there, whether it be a hunting, fishing, or just a trip of doing nothing I'm always relaxed when I'm there. I can't wait to be there this weekend.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 PM
The Man

Yes It is a financial burden, but a burden that I will never let go of !!

Camp life,it don't get much better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page