Timber Apprasial - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Timber Apprasial

Is there an advantage to having a timber appraisal to assist in establishing the sale of a property?

Will the local DCNR service forester do that estimate?

Seems to me to be some good information to have in setting the price, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Re: Timber Apprasial

FWIW I've tried to contact the DCNR several times regarding their forestry and forestry programs for landowners in the past year and never even got to speak with anyone who was in a position to help me.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes. If you have professional cruise done, your Realtor can use that to your advantage in the sales process. It cannot confirm a dollar figure due to a fluctuating market, but it can provide an accurate estimate of board feet. Spend a few bucks and have it done, your profit will be better when you sell.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Yes. If you have professional cruise done, your Realtor can use that to your advantage in the sales process. It cannot confirm a dollar figure due to a fluctuating market, but it can provide an accurate estimate of board feet. Spend a few bucks and have it done, your profit will be better when you sell.
Thanks for your input Joe.

Couple of complicating factors in this case. Adjacent landowner has expressed interest in the property and if he is really interested, it may not go thru realtor. Second complication is it is a joint ownership and expenditure of anything upfront will be difficult not to mention the realtor fee. That's why I was thinking that a service forester may do it at no charge.

I guess the bottom line in my mind is what the neighbor is willing to offer and if they are close to what I think it is worth and what I want for it (which may not be what the other owners want). Last timbered about 35 years ago. Deer/turkey on property, adjacent to State Forest, and walking distance to Penns Creek.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumBackstrap
FWIW I've tried to contact the DCNR several times regarding their forestry and forestry programs for landowners in the past year and never even got to speak with anyone who was in a position to help me.
I've had some luck with service foresters but in a different district than this property. Just wasn't sure if they ever did this sort of thing.

Definitely advantageous to have consulting forester to do a survey but some complications as I noted to Joe.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Adjacent landowner being interested seems like a simplifying factor to me. The value of the property has to be established regardless of who the buyer is and timber value is part of the equation.
Joint ownership can be an issue if you aren't on the same page. The contents of that page certainly inlcude desire to sell and expectation of selling price. Relator fees aren't due until the buyer provides the cash, so that's not upfront. Timber cruise is but that's not a large expenditure, unless it's a really large property. Notice that neither of those are quantified.

I miss my hunting partner
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Interest from the adjacent landowner is a positive, if they are serious about purchase and realistic about price.

Co-owner and I have not yet discussed value so not sure if we are close on expectations. Although I am not a realtor, I have figured a range of what I think it is worth based on inflation of dollar since it was purchased 35 years ago, value of forested property, proximity to premier pa trout stream, hunting property adjacent to a state forest, and what I have read on HP.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM

While you don't have to list it with a realtor, it doesn't hurt to talk to a few. Some will provide you with a listing of what comparable properties actually sold for in the area recently. It is simple for them to pull this info from the MLS services. This way you know what a fair price is.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bear: I routinely do timber appraisals. Part of any consulting foresters' job. First, the state forester may not do a timber value appraisal. Competition of state and private industry kind of thing. A true appraisal will be a document on letterhead with a stock and stand table with a breakdown of species, board feet and value by species. If it is from a recognized professional, it will hold up in court. Using a standard such as the Penn State Marketing Bulletin, the value can be confidently summarized. Markets change constantly. An appraisal is a snapshot in time. The true value of timber is a sealed bid thru a consultant. While adding the value of timber to an asking price will result in a higher asking price, very few sellers receive this additional revenue. Most buyers "feel" that they deserve the timber for free, or make an offer less than the asking price. Then the landowner usually cuts some of the timber, saying he is not going to "give it away".. Your experience may vary. Good luck, and if you want to talk to a reputable consulting forester, PM me and I will supply you with contact info...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE.... www.AAFORESTRYANDWILDLIFESERVICE.COM
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberPro
Bear: First, the state forester may not do a timber value appraisal. Competition of state and private industry kind of thing.
Yup, I should have thought of that.

Thanks for the other info and offer of assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page