Taxes...One of the guarantees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Taxes...One of the guarantees

I have had our cabin for the past 2 years and the taxes seem really high for the property. We have a Recreational Permit for construction which means I am not allowed to live there year-around but can vacation for extended periods of time. I am not allowed to have an associated mailing address. The property is 17 acres and has a new 1200 sq ft log cabin. The builder we bought it from said the taxes were cheap but it hadn't been reassessed since he finished the cabin.

Our first "real" tax bill came from Keystone School district for a whopping $1100 followed by the local tax bill of over $500. So, there is a rustic cabin with no electricity, no water, in the middle of nowhere that I am not allowed to live at full time but they are allowed to charge $1600 in taxes a year?

Only in PA...

Are others paying taxes of this size on their little piece of the pie?

I am just looking for a check and balance to ensure something isn't wrong with the assessment or taxes that they are collecting.

I appreciate the replies.

One Shot...One Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Taxes...One of the guarantees

Some school districts are much more expensive than others , it really doesnt seem to be that far out of line . JMO You might consider clean & green for your property . might save you a little.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Part of the Community

My cabin in Sullivan, I just paid the yearly school taxes at a whopping $1030.00 for the cabin & 3 acres of land.

Earlier this year I paid county taxes at ~300. So yes, there are others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Sage

School taxes in Northern Tioga SD on my place are around $1100 per year and just went up again. Last year the school board haggled all summer about a millage increase. One faction wanted a 4 mill increase, the other a 5 mill increase. They "compromised" and raised them 7 mills.

Twp/County taxes are edging up close to $500. 28 acres, about a 600 square foot shanty.

Before we built the original 12x20 shack in 1980, the total taxes were around $60 per year. They quadrupled the first year the small building was there, have gone up just about every year since and doubled again in the mid 80s when we built an addition on.

By comparison, the school taxes are only slightly higher here at home and the Twp/County taxes are far lower, for a half acre lot w/ 1400 square foot rancher with finished walkout basement, that's assessed at $220K at the moment.

I'd never get anything close to $200K for my camp, yet the taxes reflect that sort of valuation.

Neighbor up the road from camp has been trying to sell their place for two years now and the last deal fell through a month ago at $220K, which was dropped again and again from the original asking price of $270K.

I think it's about 22 acres, some woods, 10 year old four bedroom doublewide in like-new condition, detached three car garage, shop and two other good sized out buildings.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sad subject indeed. My best story, I buy and repair properties. I spent 60 man hours times 3 men cleaning up a blighted property I bought. Cut away years of underbrush, old bushes, tons of trash, all outside the home. Taxes were $940 at closing. There was a 10 x 10 shed and a two story 12 x 12 I uncovered, resided with wood. The next year the taxes were $1070. I called for an explaination. Unpermitted outbuildings ! They had been there for years !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM
The Man

If there's one taxes I despise, it's property taxes. More specifically school taxes.

I probably haven't helped my cause any by telling our county tax assessor where he could go more than a few times. Anyone who knows Joe Galbo of Crawford County,,...give him my warmest regards.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The real estate/school tax system in PA is about as bad as it gets, corrupt, no accountability, and not enough politicians willing to try to change it.

Folks building a a single story ranch style here in my area of southeast PA can expect to pay $8,000.00-10,000.00 annually. And it never goes down...!

Eh...wot?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
I probably haven't helped my cause any by telling our county tax assessor where he could go more than a few times. Anyone who knows Joe Galbo of Crawford County,,...give him my warmest regards.
I can relate.

When I built my house in the mid 70s, the initial assessment was ridiculous, so I filed an appeal. Went to the courthouse and gathered the assessments of similar houses in my area. All were far lower than mine was and all were completely finished.

My cape cod had an unfinished second floor, so it was basically a two bedroom ranch with a really big "attic".

Chief county assessor assured me I had filed the appeal in time. Eventually an assessor came out to meet at our house and we spent over an hour haggling at the kitchen table.

The arrogant schmuck kept telling me that the other houses were of inferior quality, even after I told him we'd built two of them within 400 yards from my place. He finally dropped our assessment by a meager amount, was still higher than any of the other neighborhood cape cods.

His final words were, that since the deadline had passed, I'd have to pay the taxes based on the original assessment. When I pointed out that his boss had told me the opposite, he snarled upon leaving that I could hire an attorney and take them to court.

Coupla years later the same bozo showed up while I was home eating lunch, wanted to know if I'd finished the second floor yet? Asked him if they'd gotten any building permits from our twp. yet, for a reassessment?

Exchanged some other unpleasantries and left him standing there at the open door on the porch, talking to himself.

When I got back to work on our job site, there he was to assess the townhouses we were building. Boss asked me to show him around, told boss somebody else should do it, too many open excavations around there that might tempt me.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm in the same district and your tax bill is cheaper and i only have 11 acres. Be thankful it's not more.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkasniper
I have had our cabin for the past 2 years and the taxes seem really high for the property. We have a Recreational Permit for construction which means I am not allowed to live there year-around but can vacation for extended periods of time. I am not allowed to have an associated mailing address. The property is 17 acres and has a new 1200 sq ft log cabin. The builder we bought it from said the taxes were cheap but it hadn't been reassessed since he finished the cabin.

Our first "real" tax bill came from Keystone School district for a whopping $1100 followed by the local tax bill of over $500. So, there is a rustic cabin with no electricity, no water, in the middle of nowhere that I am not allowed to live at full time but they are allowed to charge $1600 in taxes a year?

Only in PA...

Are others paying taxes of this size on their little piece of the pie?

I am just looking for a check and balance to ensure something isn't wrong with the assessment or taxes that they are collecting.

I appreciate the replies.
Have a camp in Northern Centre, Keystone Central are our folks too. Cabin is about 1700 sf on 8.5 acres. Taxes are $900.00 in the fall and $240.00 in the spring.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page