Steps to getting a camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Steps to getting a camp

Hello all. First time posting in here. My dad has a plot of land he also has my name on the deed. I really think I want to put a small cabin on this lot. The land is adjacent to a pheasant hunting preserve, a mile away from a decent sized reservoir, and quite a few trout streams. There is turkey and deer hunting right in the back yard, as well as a lot of farm land around.

I am thinking of picking up a pre manufactured cabin, in the 12' x 24' range or so. I see that you can get these shells for around 6000 bucks.

I have a friend whose parents live right up the road, and have a well and septic system.

I was wondering if it would be possible to put in a crawl space and put the cabin on it. I am also wondering roughly what the cost of a septic system would be. Being that the cabin is relatively small I was thinking that electric base board heat would be relatively in expensive to run in the structure.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any tips or advice on doing so?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Sage

Re: Steps to getting a camp

Some of those buildings you can purchase already wired, insulated, at a price , may be well worth it.....
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:00 PM

First step is to talk to the county/township sewage officer to arrange a perk test, to see what type of system is permitted. This will determine the cost. And then speak to the zoning officer to see if there are any restrictions on what you can build.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -&gt; BANG
KingRon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM
The Man

Anther thing to consider is how far away the nearest electric pole is. It gets rather expensive to run that a long distance.
May want to Check with the local tax office as well. Setting the prefab on a crawl space may make it a permanent stricter as they would consider it a foundation, and mean higher taxes, but may not be much difference??
Septic means a well, or some type of water source.

Good luck, and I hope you get it done.....

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I am checking to see if I can put in a storage tank to be pumped instead of septic. Not sure if that is a better option or not. I wouldn't mid having a well, but it would not be that hard to set up some sort of shower holding tank, and small tank for drinking water.

I don't want all of the amenities of home with this camp, and want to keep it a bit rustic, but would want electric, and some sort of in house septic

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM

be prepared to pay the taxes $$$ when you put well and septic to a building. I'm sure a holding tank with an outhouse on top shouldn't be an issue with seo, most are minimum 1000 gallon anymore, figure a concrete tank goes for $1 a gallon anymore,keep liquid in it so the solids can break down, and use rv stuff to help smell and processing, dont mix types or they can cancel each other out. remember your at camp! not a home

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not sure where your location is but let me give you some prices of what I paid in Tioga county.
Permits-$1050
Well-$5500
Septic-$12,000
Electric-$1200
The electric was actually free but I paid for the pipe, 200 amp service box, trip switches, and backhoe to dig the trench. I also built the wooden wall for the electric service to be connected to.
My total costs for my excavation ran me $3200.

You have a bunch of bills to pay before building a structure,no matter what type of building you put up.

Big D
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Septic cost me $7,100 with a 1000 gallon tank and a leach field. Not sure of the permits cost. Electric was $700. They have to set one pole. Haven't got to the well yet but they quoted me around $3,500.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 PM

I think sometimes the hidden costs or not so hidden costs such as water septic ect....makes you weigh the option of building versus buying something already built. I understand that in you situation it is to build just hope the costs doesn't hinder the plans. Best of luck hope it goes the way you want

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 AM
RB
Sage

i would (did) put in an outhouse and a tank. When you think about how many times you actually...umm "read"...at camp doing a full blown septic for a weekend place, well you make your cabin 3xs bigger for that money.

Electric..I got a solar panel and a battery with inverter...lights, radio, etc..no issue.

For me the reason i go to camp is because i am tired of the modern world, simple times for simple minds i guess.

My 12x24 with 8x12 porch shabin (large shed used as cabin) was 4500, outhouse, perc test, permit ,tank, 1500...600O. The work is never done, the good news is you never want it to be.

Guys buy 42K pick-ups and then say they can't afford camps...don't be one of those guys and you will get your camp.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page