Camp neighbors - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Camp neighbors

Anyone have a camp with neighbors. I am interested in a place near Sproul SF but has year round residents on each side of it. Was wondering if anyone has a similar situation and if so would you share the pros and cons associated with it.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 AM
The Man

Re: Camp neighbors

I am the "camp" neighbor (only one). I believe the campers would give a good reference. I help keep the lawn mowed, leaves are cleaned up, and keep an eye on the place. They let me hunt. I think it works out well for us both.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Sage

There's some year rounders up by my place and I've made some good friends up that way. One guy helps me every time I working on something, and they treat my son like he's their grandson. There's nobody I don't get along with. Maybe there are some jerks around, but I'm not there often enough to know it. As cool as it would be to have a cabin in the middle of nowhere with nobody around, I like knowing that someone I know and trust is around. I have no fear of getting broken into or ripped off when I'm not there. That is kind of nice.

One thing that I found worked well for me is that once I had an idea of who disliked whom, I just avoided getting into local "politics". I stay friendly with everyone, even opposing locals. There are folks up there I really like and others that I don't necessarily like all that much, but I'm friendly with everyone. I go out of my way to not make enemies at a place that I only get to ten or twenty days a year. I feel like as long as I'm civil with everyone, nobody will give me a problem and so far, 13 years along, that has worked out OK.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 AM
The Man

All depemds on what kind of people they are. I have a neighbor on one side who is pretty friendly and has helped me out with stuff on several occassions.
Have neighbors on the other side who leave junk everywhere, help themselves to whatever they want, let their dogs and horses crap all over my yard, plow their snow up in my driveway and in general are a couple of jerks.
A plus is that several years ago there was a rash of camp breakins all over our area. Our camp was untouched, mostly I believe due to permanent residents being there.
Like most things, there are pros and cons.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 AM

Have a camp located within a cluster of about 30 camps. 99% are not permanent and aren't there very often. A few camps are there often but most are here and there. All camps I have encountered are friendly and the permanent residents we are friendly with and keep an eye on the place. I think it's nice that we're friendly with the permanent residents because I know they'll lookout for our place. On the other hand you don't know who you're dealing with until you get to know them. I think it's a huge pro having neighbors in my eyes
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM

I don't have any neighbors next to me but there are camps up and down the road with a couple permanent residents. The pros are the camp guys some of which I have known for years help out when I may need a hand as do my one permanent resident good friend. One guys let's us fish and archery hunt his property (which is nice even with NF and Collins pines surrounding us) we do a little hunting together some fishing and a lot of BSing. Cons seems that if you want a little time alone some one stops in for a minute or two drinks lol. That is the only deal for me and it isn't a big one! Nice to have good neighbors to look out for me.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Part of the Community

I am also the neighbor take care of the lawn, and keep an eye on the place. So I get to hunt, and pasture my cows. Works for both of us.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have neighbors on both sides one I never see and the other keeps an eye on the place I have no complaints
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my camp is in a cluster of other camps. some are permanent but most are weekenders. i know all of them and get along with most. a lot has to do with demographics. most of the camps around me are owned by people from 40-65. we all like to socialize a bit and don't tromp all over each other. There are however some younger folks up the road who feel they can run their quads up and down the road, act rowdy all night, etc. it doesn't bother me but it bothers people who are close to them. we also have old people who don't want anyone to have any fun and make a stink if you ride your bicycle too fast past their place.
i think the best advice i could give is to get to know your neighbors right away before there are any preconceived notions. also get don't get TOO friendly with them because invariably that does not work out. i saw that just this past year with a couple that were constantly over at each others places, doing stuff together, buying things together, etc. well a combo of boorish behavior and booze drove a huge wedge in that group and it is now somewhat uncomfortable. but i don't take sides. i just sit back and let the drama unfold and chuckle.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Part of the Community

We keep our friendly neighbors close and our enemy neighbors closer, they both keep an eye on our place!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page