camp mold - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

camp mold

made a big mistake by closing camp to tight and now i have a mold problem like ive never seen what to do what to do HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: camp mold

You could try Sporicidin. When I was in the Med Surg biz we sold a good bit of the product.

http://www.sporicidin.com/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Sage

and open the camp to insure a little cross ventilation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM

And run a dehumidifier...buddy had to keep one running round the clock going right into a drain...I don't like leaving anything run if I ain't there..but if I had a problem and could go back once a week or something I would...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I used to close camp up tight I always had a strong musty/mildew odor when reopening. One year, we got mold. We just scrubbed the heck out of everything, used diluted Clorox to kill it.

Ever since, I let some windows partially open. One in the front room that is under the porch roof. It gets left open about six inches ad is blocked from opening further. One over the kitchen sink and a small window in the bathroom.

The cross-ventilation from doing that has made a huge difference. No mold issues and instead of the musty, closed up smell, camp actually smells fresh and aired out even after long periods of no occupancy.

Eh...wot?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The best product on the market if the mold is severe is Boracare. Its the only EPA cert. application that is guaranteed to kill mold forever. Its used in the reclaimed lumber business as well. Boric acid is the magic ingredient. If its not that bad, good old white vinegar and elbow grease works fine.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 AM

Use a muffin fan for ventilation. They draw very little electric and will turn the air over in the place several times an hour (depending on size). They are used for computer rooms.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM

I had a mold problem last year at my place. I hadn't been at camp from end of June until end of August. When we arrived I noticed A strong musty odor as soon as I opened the door. My place is painted block, and I have 2 vents on all four sides in the crawl space and two vents up near the roof on the attic. This was not enough ventilation for all the humidity during the summer months. We had white mold growing in pretty much every room mostly on the walls, but some of the furniture was covered too. I used bleach and water and wiped down everything. We now run a dehumidifier with a hose to the shower drain on a timer from 12p-4p and 10p-2a. I also keep a few windows slightly open to improve ventilation with a small oscillating fan running on the timer as well to move air. I also bought a product called Concrobium mold killer and put it in a pump sprayer and misted all the areas that were prone to mold. I had some trees cut this year to that increased the amount of sunlight hitting the camp. Next step for me is to place a heavy vapor barrier on the dirt down in the crawl space to decrease ground moisture although it is relatively dry under there. Soffit vents would help too, but that will be when we do the metal roof.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Sage

Wash Co, did all that venting and dehumidifier help any.......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Haven't had any issues since. Although, the humidity hasn't been a factor as of yet. The dehumidifier did work well from August on. We were up last week first time since Deer season and everything was just the way I left it with no signs of mold. I have furring strips with paneling on the block walls with thin Styrofoam panels for insulation. I think that there might be some mold on the back of the paneling inside the walls that I hope to remediate when I put up knotty pine this year. Block buildings just don't breath well, and I noticed I get sweating on the bottom 2 feet of the walls in some areas when I heat an ice cold camp up to 70 degrees quickly. the dresser drawers still have a musty smell along with some of the cabinets. I cleaned and sprayed them with Concrobium in hopes that it will fix the problem. i'll post an update of the results after this summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page