Setting up a New Camp/Trailer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Setting up a New Camp/Trailer

Alright, until recently, I've mostly sat and read the hunting camp forums "from a distant", with the hopes of revitalizing my grandfathers old camp someday, so I can start making more memories up there. I used to go up there a lot as a kid, and really want to keep it in the family. I've been brainstorming for years on what to do, but there have been a lot of moving parts recently, such as getting married, me losing my job, and having a baby. With my current jobless status, I can't really justify spending a lot of money to set everything up, but I have money saved that the wife is OK with me spending. So this might be a little long, but my grandfathers camp consists of an old trailer, w/an addition, that is currently unusable and unfixable. The last time the trailer was really used was probably going on 10 years ago, so the weather has taken its toll, with quite a bit of water damage, floors rotting out, etc. A few months ago, I was offered a new trailer for free (no one was living in it, but there had been within the last year), I'm just responsible for hauling it. I hadn't seen the new trailer until today, but my brother saw it in the fall, and at the time, it seemed like a perfect opportunity. However, we went today to check it out again, and it appears the water was never fully shut off, and we could barely get the front door open because of a giant bulge/mound right inside the door and in the main living area. After squeezing in, the floor has (and I don't know how to exactly explain it) big rolls/mounds across the living room floor and in the kitchen. We couldn't tell what was going on without ripping up the carpet or looking under it, but it appears it happened because of water freezing. To note, the current camp doesn't have a well or septic, so I wasn't planning on having running water, so I'm not too worried about busted pipes. Now I'm nervous with the extent of the damage, and what it could have done to the overall integrity of the structure. Not sure if it's now going to be a problem to haul, what I'm going to get into to replace the floor etc. So with this, I have a bunch of random questions running through my head and was hoping maybe some people on might have some advice/past experiences. I'm not the handiest of people, but I feel I can do the basics.

How complicated will it be to tear up the floor throughout the living room/kitchen and replace?

If I tore everything up and put down new plywood, what kind of flooring do you think would be the best to put over the new plywood with minimal costs?

Other questions not related to the floor, but I was thinking about....

Since the trailer has been sitting, will the axles be OK to haul, will they need greased or anything?

The "V" shaped trailer hitch was unhooked and laying under the trailer, but looks pretty rusted, so not sure if I'm going to have to track a new one down, or hopefully a mobile home moving company might have access to one?
I've gotten moving quotes ranging from $1000 to $2000, but also need to figure out the logistics of getting new block up there and how to set everything up for the trailer to go on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a mobile home moving company around the Brookville area?

The trailer (I believe) was manufactured in 1975, and I was planning on having the electricity turned on, but wasn't sure if the fuse box will have to be updated to a newer standard?

Sorry the post was so long, appreciate any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Setting up a New Camp/Trailer

You could look under the trailer and maybe see what's going on??

Just a thought

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Mobile home moving companies use their own axles, and I imagine have their own hitch setups as well.
I've seen some house trailers moved before, the crew I saw was like a nascar pit team,- everyone had a purpose and was moving with a sense of urgency.

As far as the water damage, I agree with Army, take a look underneath, heck might be some salvagable blocks underneath as well.

Or, you could always buy a camper and put it on the lot, I think I saw one in the classifieds on here...
(Shameless plug)

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Sage

I think I would go with the camper idea.Sounds like you might be headed for a money pit by staying with your original thoughts......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

more than likely the flooring in the trailer is particle board, and as I am sure you see its not water tolerable at all.
you can cut the flooring out and install new 3/4 inch sturdi dry or advantech which looks like OSB but uses a different resin which makes it much more water resistant.

when they build the trailers they deck the entire floor then build the walls on the deck, so you will only be able to cut up to the walls and piece it from there. which is going to be weaker than the original construction and even compounded more if the particle board under the exterior walls got wet and is now comprimized (separating)

If they used metal floor studs you will need some kind of self tapping screws or drill through the metal floor joists and sister wooden joists along side those and attach with screws through the holes you drilled.

depending on the company you hire to haul the trailer and how far it is will depend on the cost. they may even have universal tongue attachments, they will likely have wheels and tires also.

depending on how bad the damage is would or should be a deciding factor in moving forward with this particular trailer. I see trailers listed all the time for little to nothing just move it. generally you see most of those from trailer parks.

I would check the wiring, for stoves and dryers you will likely see aluminum wires, if the other wiring is aluminum as well ( for the outlets and lights) I would look elsewhere or at the least understand that it should be replaced before bringing it into service.

you will likely need a new electric service from the street, a trailer service, which is basically power to a pole with the meter to a disconnect and from there they will probably make you hard wire it to the panel. They do not allow a trailer "plug" here anymore and since it falls under NEC code I would imagine they will not allow it there either.

Best advice I can give you is to do your homework first to figure out how much this will cost. moving it, permits, site prep ( piers or slab) building code requirements, electric service costs, repairs, etc......

good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM

With the floor that bad I would take a real good look at the roof and wall seepage. Replacing the floor is not hard just lots of work. I would do 5/4 Osb then put a vinyl floor on top. Best of luck brining back and making more memories.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just my personal opinion...going off of your guess of $2,000 to move and assuming at least another grand in prep work and fixing the floor your going to be minimum $3-4,000 into this 1975 trailer that may have significant unseen damage and rot. That is if everything falls in line and there are no other "hidden" costs that you are not thinking of which typically never is the case. What I would do is save your time, heart ache, and frustration with this old trailer. Save for another few years and have a shed style cabin built on your property. I have yet hear from a person that has one that doesnt like it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Regular Visitor

All i can say is it can be done. My two buddies and i recieved a 1972 12x72 house trailer in bad shape. Over the course of years all has been fixed and replace includig the bubbled floor. The camp is warm,dry and a place we love. Part of the experience is the process in my book. we have lots of needed projects but when at fire we recall all the fun we had making it into what we have. Some people want it now,we could on afford so much at a time and thats what we did. Only YOU can decide.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm
Just my personal opinion...going off of your guess of $2,000 to move and assuming at least another grand in prep work and fixing the floor your going to be minimum $3-4,000 into this 1975 trailer that may have significant unseen damage and rot. That is if everything falls in line and there are no other "hidden" costs that you are not thinking of which typically never is the case. What I would do is save your time, heart ache, and frustration with this old trailer. Save for another few years and have a shed style cabin built on your property. I have yet hear from a person that has one that doesnt like it.
Best advice by far.Run away from that scrap heap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page