Welcome becomes unwelcome - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Welcome becomes unwelcome

Iam sure this happens a lot but how many hunting camp owners invited guests onto there camp to hunt or fish but then feel or see that your gesture is being abused

I make memories one day at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Welcome becomes unwelcome

Yeah, we have had that with a few guests over the years. You bring em up to camp once, then they start feeling like they can just show up whenever someone is there! We finally told one guy, that unless he comes with a guest, he wasnt welcome.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George w
Iam sure this happens a lot but how many hunting camp owners invited guests onto there camp to hunt or fish but then feel or see that your gesture is being abused
Yup. But they are weeded out within a season or two.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM

I don't own a camp but I do own some land that I have let people use at times when they ask. After a while they feel they can go there whenever without asking. It gets to the point at some times that I can't even hunt my own piece of 30 acres because someone else is there without asking.

I have a driveway into the place and the intent was to build on it at some time. I cleared around the young trees on the edges of the driveway. One guy sighted his gun in with a target at the base of a 8" diameter tree taking chunks out of the base of it. I was just furious about it but tried to keep my cool. Of course I was the jerk in his mind.

I have found that if you give most people opportunity to take advantage of anything they will. Very little respect for others privacy or property. Of course other people are very good about it.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a camp but we usually dont run into that problem, thank God. I do however hunt on land during rifle season that I do not own. I know I am welcomed back but I still call the land owner every season asking if I can hunt, its just common courtesy.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The more you are around the owner of the ground the more likely we are to understand what he expects.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Talk to him. Once the ground rules are set minor adjustments can be made later. Communication is the only way to resolve. Most likely you knew him before inviting him up. With a little guidance he will understand.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM

I've been pretty lucky with my guests. None of them have turned into a nuisance. I've had less than desirable people try to invite themselves. Fortunately, I don't worry about hurt feelings from people I don't particularly like so I tell them they can't come and explain in no uncertain words why I don't want them there.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was told this year to stop asking and just come over. I still call though since I feel weird just showing up.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

some folks are really good and some folks just don't get it. I have a couple friends who come up and I never have to ask anything. Firewood gets restocked on the porch, dinner dishes are clean, vacuum gets run,etc.

I had one guy come to camp for a week in the spring for turkey and trout, and a week in the fall for turkey. (several years)That was the only time I every heard from him. We both live in SEPA. He always talked about the local property he had access to hunt, but I never got invited. Never a phone call to meet up for a dinner. He doesn't come to camp anymore.

Most folks need a little coaching on expectations. If you tell them what you are looking for, you usually get support. Just remember, if you don't communicate expectations, don't assume folks know what you want.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page